We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kodiak visit

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kodiak visit

My husband and I are flying to Anchorage, renting an RV and looking forward to a month in AK. I am dying to get to Kodiak even though we have a very modest budget. Looking at ferry prices, it looks like an expensive proposition to go that way if we take the RV, but if we go as walk-on passengers, it is quite reasonable. However...then we need to pay for a hotel and some sort of transportation to look around. Any good ideas? Anyone know of a good hotel? What is available for transportation if we arrive without any? Any suggestions to help make this work? We will be available to go to Kodiak the second week of June. Thanks!

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Kodiak visit

go to the Alaska Ferry Adventures website and pull up the schedules for both the Tustumena and Kennicott. The Tusty does a twice a month run to Dutch Harbor and the Kennicott files in when she is gone. The Saturday sailing from Homer is a daytime sailing where the others are over night.

As you have a month perhaps you could look into the Dutch Harbor run. Spend a few days there and fly back to Homer via Anchorage. It might cost you some bucks but it is something most visitors never do. And, most probably never heard of Dutch Harbor. Park your RV at the Homer Ferry Terminal or the airport (for a fee). Taxi is available between airport and ferry terminal. We did this adventure in 1997 and came back and bought our property.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Kodiak visit

Thank you all so much for the great information. We have decided to take the ferry over and do as many of your suggestions as we can afford. Can't wait!

Florida
Level Contributor
159 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Kodiak visit

DH and I did the Galley Gourmet when we were there 2 yrs ago. It was pricey for us, but definitely the highlight of our trip. As far as lodging, ck VRBO. The hotels in town weren't anything special.

14. Re: Kodiak visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2016, 19:15
Get answers to your questions about Kodiak