We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Biarritz to Pamplona via St Jean Pied de port

Sunnyvale...
5 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Biarritz to Pamplona via St Jean Pied de port

After spending 3 days in San Sebastian, St Jean de Luz and Bayonne, wee are planning to spend 3 days driving from Biarritz via the Basque villages of Sare and Ainhoa to St Jean Pied De Port, then cross to Spain the next day towards Pamplona , followed by a last day in driving to Vitoria and Bilbao.

Is the part from St Jean Pied de port via Pamplona and Vitoria difficult to drive for someone with limited driving experience in mountain roads (/narrow 1 way etc), i.e are we better off returning to Biarritz and spend more time than we originally planned on the coast?

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
477 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Biarritz to Pamplona via St Jean Pied de port

The roads between SJPDP and Pamplona are generally very good. There are a few hair-pin bends and some narrow sections but it is a proper road. There are no one-way sections. Take your time and you should be fine. If you find that there is a long queue of cars behind you, pull over somewhere safe and let them pass.

Sunnyvale...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Biarritz to Pamplona via St Jean Pied de port

Thank you so much for these details that I could not find anywhere!

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
477 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Biarritz to Pamplona via St Jean Pied de port

I took some clients as far as Roncesvalles the other day and decided to film the journey using time lapse photography. I took the route described above - Biarritz to Saint Jean Pied de Port and then over the col at Ibardin.

Unusually there were a lot of roadworks so there a few pauses in the video. Unfortunately the roads between SJPDP and Roncesvalles are quite windy so the video is a little jumpy.

See it here: biarritzairporttransfers.com/Biarritz-to-Sai…

Sunnyvale...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Biarritz to Pamplona via St Jean Pied de port

Thank you so much! I could not have hoped for better clarification.

Very beautiful out there. Can't wait!

We will be there in mid september.

5. Re: Driving from Biarritz to Pamplona via St Jean Pied de port

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 22:15
Get answers to your questions about Basque Country