We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation from St Jean Pied du Port to Pamplona ?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
transportation from St Jean Pied du Port to Pamplona ?

Hi

I am looking for a means of transportation from St Jean Pied du Port/ Roncevalles to Pamplona and then I am thinking of catching a train to Barcelona from there.

Any suggestions please.

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Bip Taxi
Taxis & Shuttles
Olibondo Escapade
Taxis & Shuttles, Food Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
VTC Aquitaine
Taxis & Shuttles
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,389 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation from St Jean Pied du Port to Pamplona ?

From St Jean Pied de Port, the only way is by train to Bayonne, then another train to Irun. And at the moment there are no trains out of St Jean Pied de Port as the line has been washed out by storms and floods earlier this week - yes the weather can be really violent in that area even in summer and this is the second time in two years. There is a bus replacement. (They do expect the have trains back running soon though.) St Jean Pied de Port has no public bus service except for very local connections.

There are direct trains (including an overnight train) from Irun to Barcelona via Pamplona and, with one early morning exception, they are the only trains between Irun and Pamplona, so going first to Pamplona except for a stopover is not needed.

There is another way to get to Barcelona. Take the local train to Bayonne as above, then a train to Toulouse and from there you have direct trains to Barcelona and some more requiring a change of train in Narbonne. These trains run daytimes only.

For the times of the local trains out of St Jean Pied de Port to Bayonne, see ter-sncf.com/Regions/…Default.aspx and select ligne 62 from the among the options in the drop downbox and click Valider. For trains Bayonne and Irun (or Hendaye on the French side which is 2km from Irun) same place Ligne 61.

If you cannot read French, look up the times for the exact date you wish to travel at www.capitainetrain.com or www.voyages-sncf.com which has an English option. Reservations are not available between St Jean Pied de Port and Bayonne and are not needed on most of the trains between Bayonne and the border.

Reservations Irun -Pamplona - Barcelona are compulsory and should be made at www.renfe.com the Spanish railways website.

If you choose to go via Bayonne and Toulouse, buy your tickets at www.capitainetrain.com as reservations are compulsory between Toulouse and Barcelona by all fast trains.

If you are in Roncevalles, then take a bus to Pamplona and start from there. There is no public transport of any description across the border the 28km between St Jean Pied de Port and Roncevalles. You will have realised that starting the trip to Barcelona from St Jean Pied de Port means going a very long way around, unless you can find of way of making that short cut across the border and over the mountain passes. I have no information about buses at Roncevalles, but I would be most surprised if there were more than one or two per day.

I hope this helps. Either way, the journey is going take all day (or all night) so good luck and I hope you get this organised.

Mentioned in this post
Bayonne
Bayonne
Basque Country, France
Barcelona
Barcelona
Hendaye
Hendaye
Basque Country, France
Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
5,172 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation from St Jean Pied du Port to Pamplona ?

Luckily the road in between Osses and Bidarray has now opened again - it was closed for about 10 days.

In addition to cubsur's comprehensive advice I can also suggest flying from San Sebastian airport to Barcelona. Vueling Airlines operate this route and it might be useful if you are planning on flying out of Barcelona once you reach it. http://www.vueling.com/es

There is a private company that runs buses over the mountain from Saint Jean to Roncesvalles as many of the pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago do not wish or have the endurance to walk this difficult route: expressbourricot.com/en/services/personstras…

Mentioned in this post
Osses
Osses
Basque Country, France
Bidarray
Bidarray
Basque Country, France
Barcelona
Barcelona
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,389 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation from St Jean Pied du Port to Pamplona ?

Useful to know about the availability of transport across the mountains. The road looks horrendous., with all those hills and hairpin bends.

I will also add that the San Sebastian airport is just outside Írun, ie right across the border from Hendaye on the French side.

Mentioned in this post
Hendaye
Hendaye
Basque Country, France
4. Re: transportation from St Jean Pied du Port to Pamplona ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 06:16