We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Parks North / Cabins?

Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Topic
National Parks North / Cabins?

3 friends and I want to travel through some of the National Parks in Northern Cali, Oregon, and maybe into Washington. I have several questions and hope someone can help me. First of all, when we did this before, we rented a beautiful cabin not far from the National Park ( Utah) ., We want to do the same this year. Can anyone suggest a cabin near any of the parks in the states I mentioned? We were thinking : Redwoods, Crater Lake, Mount St Helens /Rainier...maybe even Olympic. I know Im not being specific here, but if anyone can help me, I'd really appreciate it.

Second question: Can someone who has been to the area make recommendations on what we should see? Which parks are the best? Is Cascades worth the trip that far north? Or can we see the same mountain scenery and hike similar trails somewhere else? Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Washington
Washington
California
Utah
Utah
United States
Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National Parks North / Cabins?

The Cascades are very beautiful. I don't know of any cabin in the redwoods, although you could check out VRBO. I'd look at Trinidad for lodging. It's very picturesque & quiet. There are nice sandy beaches & rocky beaches. It's a 'popular' surfing spot.

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: National Parks North / Cabins?

Would definitely say Crater Lake is a must see. Very interesting, but have no idea of cabins or lodging - suggest you go to the Oregon forum and to the Crater Lake forum specifically and post questions. It looks like a pretty active forum from the quick glance I just took, and it might direct you to other area forums that you'd be interested in. I'll second Trinidad, too, for lodging for Redwoods. Great area.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,675 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: National Parks North / Cabins?

What time of year?

This is very important since Crater Lake is snowbound until about June or even early July! Mt St Helens does not open the upper visitor center until mid May due to snow.

Olympic National Park is not easy to get to, and cannot be seen in a day or two.

In addition to National Parks, there are dozens and dozens of State Parks that have gorgeous scenery and surroundings.

Trinidad, Calif (not "Cali") has a variety of lodging, including cabins of all sorts. Also, look at these deluxe cabins in nearby Orick:

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

I would encourage you to post on the individual state forums for more information. Click this blue link to go to the state listings:

tripadvisor.com/ListForums-g191-United_State…

Crater Lake lodging is extremely limited within the park, but there is other lodging surrounding it. Click here for a full list:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23338-Crater_L…

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Humboldt County, CA
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: National Parks North / Cabins?

Thanks! All of this is preliminary.. Just getting ideas.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,675 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: National Parks North / Cabins?

Should also ask - how much time are you planning to spend? Not sure where you're from, but distances in the northwest are great and roads tend to be slow.

6. Re: National Parks North / Cabins?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 12:18
Get answers to your questions about Redwood National Park