We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Redwood NP - without a car

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Redwood NP - without a car

I'm hoping someone can help me. I'll be in San Fran on July 2 and trying to find a way to get up to Redwood National Park for about 4 nights before travelling on to Seattle. I'm travelling alone and don't have a driver's licence so I'm happy to do an organised tour, but I can't find one! Any help or suggestions would be hugely appreciated - I'm happy to get public transport but can't really figure out the best way to do it/best place to stay etc. I've wanted to go to Redwood forever so really don't want to miss out. Thanks!

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Redwood NP - without a car

This is not easy. Del Norte County Transit operates along Highway 101 through the park, from Arcata to Crescent City and Smith River. To get to Arcata from San Francisco you'd probably connect to Amtrak to Martinez, then take Amtrak's Thruway bus up to Arcata.

The Del Norte bus runs three trips a day each way. At Smith River you can connect to Curry Public Transit up into coastal Oregon, to Coos Bay and North Bend. I'm assuming that you can make connections there that will eventually lead up to Seattle. The Del Norte Bus will stop anywhere safe

I don't know what your thought was on where to stay. There's one campground that appears to be within walking distance of the road at Elk Prairie. There aren't any hotels or cabins within the park. There is the Requa Inn just outside the park. You would need them to pick you up from the roadside. If you're up for bringing a (tough) bicycle it would really help. In any case, it would be quite the adventur, many hours of traveling.

Websites:

Amtrak--www.Amtrak.net

Del Norte Coast Transit--http://www.redwoodcoasttransit.org/route20.html

Curry Pubic Transit--http://www.currypublictransit.org/cesched.html

Requa Inn--http://www.requainn.com/

LA
Level Contributor
10,498 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Redwood NP - without a car

How are you getting to Seattle?

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Redwood NP - without a car

Thanks so much for the answers! You've given me some good direction on where to look next.

I was thinking about staying at the Elk Meadows place near Orick as it seems to be pretty central and Redwood Adventures seems to have some day tours from there. Hadn't figured out how to get to Seattle but assumed I could get a bus from somewhere like Arcata if I can get myself there.

Alas I won't have a bike. I'm coming from Australia and really hope I can make it work. Lifelong dream and all that :)

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Redwood NP - without a car

Are you sure you want to go to Redwood Park, as opposed to seeing redwoods? There are definitely easier places to go to see redwood trees and forests, you wouldn't spend your whole trip doing this transport. Muir Woods in Marin County near San Francisco is spectacular. It's very busy, but even there if you take a trail up the hillside it gets less crowded. Golden Gate Transit runs buses there on summer weekends.

Further out (and less crowded) in Marin County there's Samuel Taylor State Park, another redwood park. West Marin Stage runs buses there daily.

Armstrong Redwoods are a couple of miles north of Guerneville in Sonoma County. You can't get right to the park on transit, but I'd think you could get a hotel to shuttle you out there.

Big Basin State Park is a redwood park near Santa Cruz which has some transit from Santa Cruz Metro.

Here's a map of the state parks with redwoods. Admittedly, a bunch of these are hard to reach also: http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=24723

From the North Coast to Seattle, what you'd need to do is get inland to the I-5 corridor. There's a bus from Brookings to Grants Pass, where you can catch Greyhound northbound. From there you can take Greyhound all the way or link up with Amtrak or a flight.

From Coos Bay, there's a bus over to Eugene, where you could catch Amtrak or Greyhound or fly. Oregon helps keep these services going and publishes their schedules in a hard to find on-line booklet: oregon.gov/ODOT/…

You'd of course want to confirm the current schedule. Oregon also has a statewide trip planner:

tripcheck.com/rtp-to/…CityToCitySearch.aspx

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Redwood NP - without a car

I would also check if there are any hiking groups that you could meet with in Arcata. There's not much in Orick. Arcata is very walkable. There's health food stores and lots of really good, quick meals to grap--Hole in the Wall Sandwiches, Live From NY pizza, Rico's Tacos, and lots more.

Humboldt State offers trips like hiking through the Redwoods that are open to everyone through their Center Actives. I think these trips are when classes are in session though, but you might look at their website.

I know that there are people meeting for hikes & trips. You might also contact Matt at North Coast Adventures. He has a climbing gym in Arcata & may have info into groups like this: northcoastadventurecenters.com/adventure-cen…

Edited: 12 March 2012, 15:04
LA
Level Contributor
10,498 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Redwood NP - without a car

I would work on figuring out how you are going to get to Seattle, then figuring out what to see on the way.

Busing it from the northern California coast is going to be a long, grimy, butt-numbing several days.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,362 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Redwood NP - without a car

Hi Danielle T and welcome to TripAdvisor. Wanderer has given you some excellent information. I'm familiar with Elk Meadows and will confirm that there is not much there - the cabins have a nice location but no grocery stores or restaurants within walking distance. Since you don't have a car, it may be more convenient for you to stay in Arcata.

As stated above, there are bus systems all through this area - clean, efficient and inexpensive.

Here is the one that will take you from Arcata north to Smith River... www.redwoodcoasttransit.org/route20.html

Then you can catch the Curry County Transit bus to go farther north... http://www.currypublictransit.org/

Then you'd take Porter Stage Lines bus to Eugene... www.kokkola-bus.com/PorterStageLines2.html

From Eugene there are both buses and trains to Portland and Seattle.

The coastal towns are all quite small and easy to get around and most of them have their own internal bus systems.

July 4th is a National Holiday here so all lodging and campgrounds will be very busy. It's on a Wednesday this week so won't be as bad as usual, but keep this in mind.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Redwood NP - without a car

Travelingrunner has a really good idea. You might see if the Sierra Club chapter in the Arcata/Eureka area is doing any hikes in Redwood NP. Many Sierra Club chapters have very active hiking schedules. If so, they would almost certainly be willing to give you a ride up and back.

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Redwood NP - without a car

Wow! So much useful info and lots to look into. Thanks again for all your advice and ideas and links. I have a busy night ahead of me researching everything you've suggested. This info is hugely appreciated.

Miami
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Redwood NP - without a car

Similar question here: If I wanted to go along the coast from Eureka/Arcata to Lincoln City, how would I do that (without going inland, if possible?) I could follow the route suggested by half-Brit to get to North Bend. how would I could from there to Lincoln City?

Get answers to your questions about Redwood National Park