We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patricks Point, Agate Beach Mud Slide

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
114 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Patricks Point, Agate Beach Mud Slide

Does anyone have information on the mud slide at Agate Beach?

I got a call/message from the State parks that Agage beach trail is closed until July 15 due to a mud slide. Is there a way to access Agate beach besides the now missing stairs?

Are there other beach trails accessible from the campgound? We are staying at the Agate Beach campground. They are discounting the price of the site due to the mudslide.

Wondering if anyone has pics of this.

Thanks!

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Patricks Point, Agate Beach Mud Slide

There are only the stairs down to Agate Beach. The Agate Beach CG is right on the rim trail. There are trails that disect the park as well. It's a beautiful, easy hike to Wedding Rock or the popular tidepooling beach. These are rocky beaches with lots of seals laying around. For a sandy beach you can drive/bike south to Trinidad--a couple of sandy beaches there or drive north toward the lagoon.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
114 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Patricks Point, Agate Beach Mud Slide

Thanks! I think we are most interested in the tide pools and seals anyway, so that it good to know!!

We have sandy beaches on Lake Michigan here, so that isn't as important.

We may also see Gold Beach at Elk Prarie area.. (I think that is the name, I am confusing all my state parks right now)

Where are the best areas for spottingn seals and seeing tide pools? Is there a good site for tides?

Thanks!

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Patricks Point, Agate Beach Mud Slide

The seals (or sea lions?) like to hang out from Wedding Rock to Palmers Point. Palmers Point is where the ranger led programs take you. There are often seals in Trinidad at the dock.

gp1
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
689 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Patricks Point, Agate Beach Mud Slide

Hi twintravelers

Just to clear things up you cannot get to Agate beach via the Agate beach trail. We were there last week end and we were told at the pay station that it would not be open any time soon. You can get to Agate beach by walking south from Big Lagoon 2 or 3 miles one way on sand and watch the tides. I would not recommend you doing this. There are not many tide pools or seals at agate beach. As travelingrunner pointed out there is still a lot of hiking trails open at Patrick’s point some lead to coves for tide pools. Be careful as people get swept away every year. I always think the best place to see seals is at Elk Head just north of Trinidad, ask the ranger at Patrick’s Point. Gold Beach in Prairie Creeks State Park has no tide pools and I never seen any seals up there. You your up there might want to check out fern canyon but there are much better beaches to go to than gold beach.

Have Fun

GP

Edited: 17 May 2012, 15:55
gp1
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
689 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Patricks Point, Agate Beach Mud Slide

Hi twintravelers

One more thing the dock or pier at Trinidad Head is being rebuilt and has been closed for about a year. The expected re-opening was supposed to be this month but it did not look like they were going to make that date last week. If it is open when you get here some times you can see river otters as well as seals in the ocean from the pier.

Have Fun

Greg

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
114 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Patricks Point, Agate Beach Mud Slide

Thanks so much GP1! I am so excited to show the kids sea life! I would have liked to look for agates, but not sure that it tops otters and seals and tidal pools. I understand the waves are dangerous. Are there shallow areas we can just wade in up to our ankles/knees without being in danger?

Also, I couldn't help but notice your "bigfoot" image. That is the main reason we are visiting the area. My son picked it because he wants to find Bigfoot and visit the museum. We are planning to visit the museum while we are at Patricks point... either enroute from Jedidiah Smith, or Callistoga. ANy bigfoot tips?

Thanks!

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Patricks Point, Agate Beach Mud Slide

Lots of Big Foot stories in the Willow Creek, Eureka, Crescent City, Trinity Wilderness area. I'm going to IM you a story you might like reading over a campfire. Interestingly, there are a lot o Big Foot stories here too. The Feather River Canyon and the canyon you'll see heading to Willow Creek are very similar. They are extremely steep with areas that are completely inaccessible to any human activity--even helicopter logging.

Oh, Agates are really too exciting until they are polished.

Edited: 17 May 2012, 18:39
gp1
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
689 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Patricks Point, Agate Beach Mud Slide

Hi twintravelers

Well you might see seals the otters are rare. My advice to people unfamiliar about the ocean up here is that if you are on wet sand you are too close. I hate to recommend anywhere because every year there are adults and children that are swept away and drowned. That being said check out moonstone beach it is a few miles south of the town of Trinidad

The Bigfoot museum is in Willow Creek about 60 miles east of Patrick's Point. The road is 299 and it is a twisty mountain road about an hour and 1/2 just to get to Willow Creek, it would eat up most of a day to get there and back. The good news is that if it is foggy at the coast (like today current temp 56 degrees) it will be in the 80's or 90's in Willow Creek. Here is a link

http://bigfootcountry.net/

Let me know if I can be of more help we are on the beach or in the trees every weekend

Have Fun

GP

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Patricks Point, Agate Beach Mud Slide

Yes, and always face the ocean!

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Patricks Point, Agate Beach Mud Slide

Thanks for posting about the trail. Sorry to hear about the Agate Beach trail and the pier at Trinidad - was thinking of heading up that way this summer, but may rethink my plans. That was a great stairway! A favorite state park of mine.

Get answers to your questions about Redwood National Park