We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Day coastal Calif road trip

4 posts
Save Topic
10 Day coastal Calif road trip

Starting in Eureka, finishing in LA. Hoping to see main attractions and visit a few wineries mid Oct. Plan to bypass SF. Suggestions for timing and " must sees" appreciated! mary3218

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Day coastal Calif road trip

Hi Mary,

Do you live in Eureka? If not, I highly recommend traveling the hour thirty north to Crescent City & the back down again on your way south. Check out the Redwood National Park forum for lots of info on sights. You'll pass over the Golden Gate Bridge and through SF on your way south.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Day coastal Calif road trip

Assuming you are already familiar with redwoods, my suggestion is...

Mt Lassen Volcano

Lake Tahoe

Yosemite

Joshua Tree Desert

Los Angeles hollywood

Anaheim/disneyland

San Diego zoo Sea World

Cambria/hearst castle on the way back

Monterey Aquarium, big sur coastline

Napa or Sonoma Valley wine country

If you do not live in Eureka, i would also add redwoods. Are you traveling in summer winter? If so, i would adjust based on weather conditions.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 Day coastal Calif road trip

Hi mary3218 and welcome to TripAdvisor. What sorts of things interest you? You have a choice of zipping all over seeing a bunch of places for a very short time, or taking more time along your route to enjoy each place.

Were you thinking of traveling along the coast or ...?

You can bypass San Francisco but were you thinking of bypassing the whole Bay area or just the city?

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 Day coastal Calif road trip

Mary, most helpful if we know if you are from Eureka area and timing of trip. Also you mention "coast' in title. Do you want to focus on coast...or is going inland part of plan?

4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 Day coastal Calif road trip

Shouldn't have posted Eureka. Actually entering CA from OR on Rt 101and staying one nite in Eureka. Have another 10 days or so to explore CA coast before visiting family in LA area. Thanks for your reply.

4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 Day coastal Calif road trip

Shouldn't have posted Eureka. Actually entering CA from OR on Rt 101and staying one nite in Eureka. Have another 10 days or so to explore CA coast before visiting family in LA area. Think we'll stick closer to coast. So much to see and enjoy! Thanks for your reply.

4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 Day coastal Calif road trip

From MA and visiting brothers from Seattle to LA. Have much of trip planned. Hoping to travel coast over approx 10 days, enjoying natural beauty and a few wineries. Need advice on pacing trip. Thanks for your reply.reply

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 Day coastal Calif road trip

Let's try:

Night 1: Crescent City; Jedidiah Smith State Park.

2: Eureka

3: Garberville

4-5; Mendocino (go to wineries along 128)

6 Bodega Bay

7-8: Monterey

9: Cambria

10: Santa Barbara

You really don't need the night in Eureka but left it in since you had it. If you don't have specific reason to be there, zap it & add a night somewhere around Santa Rosa between Bodega & Monterey.

Now, getting around SF is somewhat problematic depending on day & time you would be near SF. If on a weekend, maybe 101 to 280 to 17 to 1. If during week, then 101 to 37 to 780 to 680 to 17 to 1. The latter is a wide swing but lowers probability of major delay (a frequent occurance in my experience) in heart of Bay area.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 Day coastal Calif road trip

Sorry about my post above. I missed that this IS the Redwood National Park forum.

A few places that would be on my list along the coastal route include:

the Jedediah Smith Redwoods SP

seeing Elk between CC & Trinidad--

The museum at the Trees of Mystery

Patricks Point SP & the scenic route from there to Trinidad

explore Trinidad (doesn't take long as it is tiny)

Trinidad State Beach

Arcata Plaza

downtown Eureka--walk to see the Carson Mansion and the beautiful historical buildings, bookstores, restaurants, shops.

Ferndale--perhaps drive from Ferndale to the ocean (about 7 miles maybe)

the Avenue of the Giants.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,917 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 Day coastal Calif road trip

I would repost this on the "California" forum. If asked to re-direct to a more specific forum, just hit "post" a second time.

This is a really broad question that doesn't belong on such a tiny forum. You will really limit who reads your question. That said, answer #8 is a good one.

Get answers to your questions about Redwood National Park