We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to see Redwoods, the coast and Wine country

Trip to see Redwoods, the coast and Wine country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2014, 07:41
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to see Redwoods, the coast and Wine country

For Redwood National Park, Eureka and Trinidad I think is a little too far south -- just my personal opinion.

My favorite place to stay is in Klamath because it's in the middle in between the parks near Orick and the parks near Crescent City. And I highly recommend the historic Requa Inn tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32564-d613073-…

It's owned by local Yurok Tribal members.

How many are there in your party? Any young children?

Edited: 25 September 2012, 00:16
Mentioned in this post
Redwood National Park
Redwood National Park
943 Reviews
Redwood National Park, CA
Eureka
Eureka
Humboldt County, CA
Trinidad
Trinidad
Humboldt County, CA
Crescent City
Crescent City
California
2. Re: Trip to see Redwoods, the coast and Wine country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2014, 07:41
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,999 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to see Redwoods, the coast and Wine country

I answered your post on your other thread. Yes, follow my outline there and you will not have to go that far to get a flavor (and a good one) of the redwoods actually IN the Russian River wine country.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to see Redwoods, the coast and Wine country

I would choose Trinidad or Crescent City for Redwood National Park.

You could also visit the Avenue of the Giants. There are very large redwoods there. It is more inland & has a different feel that the National Park. Very beautiful in a different way. The drive from Trinidad to CC is stunning in itself.

Edited: 25 September 2012, 02:15
Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Humboldt County, CA
Crescent City
Crescent City
California
Redwood National Park
Redwood National Park
943 Reviews
Redwood National Park, CA
Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to see Redwoods, the coast and Wine country

Here is a map link. It is south of Eureka.

http://goo.gl/maps/t7pvY

Mentioned in this post
Eureka
Eureka
Humboldt County, CA
Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to see Redwoods, the coast and Wine country

I'm with traveling.................

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to see Redwoods, the coast and Wine country

Klamath is a looong drive from San Francisco. Closer from Jenner, but still a long drive.

If you want to see wine country oceans and redwoods without driving a lot, you could think about spending some time at Point Reyes National Seashore and Samuel P. Taylor State Park:

At Point Reyes, you can walk to a lighthouse, see the impact of the San Andreas fault that runs right through, look at seals lying on the beach, experience fog, shuck oysters and watch the Pacific Ocean, It's a bit different experience than Jenner. Right next door at SPT, you can walk through redwood groves or sit by the creek and enjoy the shade.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32592-d57…

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g32908-Point_Reyes_St…

http://www.nps.gov/pore/index.htm

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
8,063 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to see Redwoods, the coast and Wine country

If you are coming all the way from Florida, I'd skip Jenner. It's usually fogged in during August. In fact, if you can come at another time of year, I think you will enjoy the coast a lot more.

The Mendocino area is probably what you are looking for. It's one of California's most charming and scenic towns. There's fine, ocean view lodging there, great restaurants, kayaking, and headland exploring. There are beautiful redwoods nearby and several beautiful state parks to explore.

Not too far from Mendocino, on Hwy 128, is the Anderson Valley. This is a premium wine growing region and Boonville has one of Northern California's best micro-brews. There's also two redwood parks here.

Here's a great guide to the redwoods in California:

http://www.redwoodhikes.com/

You can see that Hendy Woods is one of the highest rated. Nearby Montgomery Woods is also one of the finest and also one of the most isolated, getting very few visitors. A very special place.

Mentioned in this post
Mendocino
Mendocino
Mendocino County, CA
California
California
United States
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to see Redwoods, the coast and Wine country

The tallest redwood tree in the world is also somewhere around Mendocino at an "undisclosed location" to keep out pesky tourists.

Mentioned in this post
Mendocino
Mendocino
Mendocino County, CA
Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to see Redwoods, the coast and Wine country

Or to keep out illegal loggers? A tree like that is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Edited: 25 September 2012, 19:32
Get answers to your questions about Redwood National Park