We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California road trip...9/10/12--9/25/12...Day 3...Redwood NP

jwr
Houston, tx
Level Contributor
365 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
California road trip...9/10/12--9/25/12...Day 3...Redwood NP

Day 3...Wed. 9/12

one other note about the drive up hwy 1 from SF...there were a ton of bicyclists on the road...amazingly they were all going south, so it was not an issue for my drive.

Day 3

From Eureka, a dawnish start got me to Trinidad by 8am...pretty little lighthouse in the town. Had to ask directions to find Patrick's Point Drive.

Arrived at Wedding Rock in Patrick's Point State Park at 8:25. Ladies and gentlemen....this place is spectacular....highest recommendation here...it's a '10'....Walked out to Wedding Rock...it's a very short distance....and watched and listened to the surf crashing into the rocks for quite some time...it was mesmerizing...sounded like thunder....Boom!....Boom!...endlessly it continues..folks, if you're in the area, do not miss the walk out to Wedding Rock....and a big thanks to the poster here who mentioned it. Walked along the perimeter of the park over to Agate Beach...very nice beach....but access from the cliffs was closed due to a potential landslide. Left PPSP around 10:15 and already felt fulfilled.

Fern Canyon was next...even tho the rangers were warning about 30-minute delays on Davison Road for re-grading...it had to be seen (wasn't part of Star Wars filmed here?)....spent about an hour hiking into the canyon....it was neat....but could just imagine how it would be during the rainy season....had to drive thru 2 small streams to make it to the trailhead...coming out, did have to wait 30 minutes for the road to clear...it's a dicey drive on a dirt road, very steep in parts...but well worth the effort.

Made a brief stop at the Prarie Creek Visitor Center/Elk Prarie....no elk in sight...2pm now...

and drove the Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkway..stopped over several times for photos and short strolls, a good route.

Continuing north up to Crescent City area....pulled over at Trees of Mystery...wanted to go in....but doing so would mean missing the 3:45 pm low tide at the Battery Point Lighthouse....opted for the Lighthouse....saw big strands of giant kelp on the trail/beach....it almost looks like it's not real...like it's a plastic prop or something ...lots of birds, but didn't see any starfish, sea anenemes or other tidepool creatures.

Hopped back onto 101/199 and raced to Stout Grove....just past Hiouchi, finally found Howland Hill Road sign....and soon beheld Stout Grove...this was indeed the best gathering of Redwoods so far....easy to access, it's a short walk from the parking area....but very difficult to photograph....a man w/ a tripod said.."go wide"...those trees....what can you say...except go see them for yourself....they've been waiting for you...5:30pm now... Drove Howland Hill back to Crescent City....many nice photo ops on Howland Hill....altho, again...could only imagine how much cooler it would be to see the road in the spring, rather than its present dusty condition.

Still had some daylight....so drove down Enderts Beach Road....there was a meadow where vehicles had stopped....the elk were bluggling....could barely make them out, before they moved on....drove down a ways further to the overlook....turned around....and as the meadow came into view, no vehicles were in sight...stopped and shut off the car....then this huge bull elk came out of the grass...just tilted his head and stared at me....15 feet from the car....was just hoping he wouldn't charge me...(realize a bull elk is perhaps the most dangerous animal out there....but .

are they known to charge vehicles??) ...he simply crossed the road and carried on.

For dinner, headed over to the Chart House (or chart room??)....the food was outstanding...had fish &chips and a bowl of chowder...the waitress said...'you're a long way from home.'....yes indeed.

Day 3...Patrick's Point...Fern Canyon...Lighthouse...Stout Grove....Bull Elk....great meal....this was a WOW day, a 5 star day.

next up for day 4...Crater Lake...on the crater lake forum

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: California road trip...9/10/12--9/25/12...Day 3...Redwood NP

Wonderful! I think I recommended Patrick's Point SP. It's is always on my list of not to miss places. Yes, Elk can charge. Usually, during mating season--lots & lots of testosterone!

If you have time and like caves at all Oregon Caves are beautiful. There's a pretty trail there too.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: California road trip...9/10/12--9/25/12...Day 3...Redwood NP

Wow, I agree - it sound as if you had a marvelous day!

One lone bull usually won't bother to charge, it's when you get several bulls together and the "ladies" involved that it can get exciting . . . hehehe isn't that just like us humans!

Glad you made the lighthouse at low tide, good decision!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: California road trip...9/10/12--9/25/12...Day 3...Redwood NP

My mistake: It was Jurassic Park, not Star Wars, that was filmed at Fern Canyon. The scene where the jeep goes over a cliff was supposedly filmed at Patrick's Point while the The Star Wars Ewoks scene was filmed at Jed Smith Redwood Park.

Of course, I have no idea of my source movie-locations.com/movies/l/lostworld.html is correct.

Williamson, Georgia
Level Contributor
18 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: California road trip...9/10/12--9/25/12...Day 3...Redwood NP

Great info-Thanks

Williamson, Georgia
Level Contributor
18 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: California road trip...9/10/12--9/25/12...Day 3...Redwood NP

Great info-Thanks. We're planning a trip in April or May.

East Meadow, New...
Level Contributor
589 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: California road trip...9/10/12--9/25/12...Day 3...Redwood NP

GREAT descriptors....we are doing the road trip through redwoods, Oregon coast, and Olympic peninsula for a bit longer but same time this fall. Thanks for an excellent report.

7. Re: California road trip...9/10/12--9/25/12...Day 3...Redwood NP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Redwood National Park