We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best redwood park for camping & hiking?

Houston
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Best redwood park for camping & hiking?

I know there was a previous post similar to this, but I'm looking for specific advice about hiking and car camping at Humboldt State Park, Redwood National Park and Jedediah State Park.

I want to be around trees, not prairie or beaches and am considering environmental sites, but not primitive ones. Right now, I'm planning on spending one night at each of the above listed parks so I can hike during the day. I really want to see some old growth forest. Should I skip one of these parks so I can spend 2 days at one of the parks or add a day so I can see each of the parks and still spend 2 nights at one of the above parks? What about Del Norte State Park?

Any recommendations on campgrounds and specific camp sites?

I'm getting back into camping after a 30 year break (at various Texas state parks here I live), and this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip (probably?) so I'd like some advice to make the most of it.

Thanks,

David

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best redwood park for camping & hiking?

There is only 1 campground at Jedidiah & it is great; right in the big trees. Worth it for sure. Go see Stout Grove while there. Picnic grounds have huge trees; some 20" or so in diameter & several hundred feet high. My favorite place in world for a picnic.

I have not stayed in grounds at Humbolt but suspect there are several terrific campgrounds.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best redwood park for camping & hiking?

Del Norte State park just south of Crescent City is good as well. Mill creek campground is set back in & worth doing.

By the way, On jedidiah we always have enjoyed hiking along the Smith River.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best redwood park for camping & hiking?

Tall trees trail to see a top 10 tallest redwood. Need permit and combination to unlock the gate to drive to the trailhead. Fun hike to do if you have 4 hours..

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best redwood park for camping & hiking?

You should keep in mind in that any of the parks that accept RV's you may hear generators running until late evening. Tent campers and RVers often do not mix well if there are no hookups for RVs . . . just something to keep in mind.

Be sure to drive Howland Hill Road in Crescent City.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best redwood park for camping & hiking?

Don't skip those parks! You'll see lots of old growth.

I'm not super familiar with the camping there, but at Patricks Point SP you camp in the woods. The RVers are a couple of miles from the tent campers.

gp1
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
580 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best redwood park for camping & hiking?

Hi tx_design

I have camped in every redwood campground in Humboldt and Del Norte counties

In Humboldt Redwoods State Park you want to be in Albee Creek campground. There are some environmental camps out that way (the mattole road) also but you would not be in the big trees

I do not think there is any camping in Redwood National Park. Anyway you would want to camp in Prairie Creek State Park at the elk prairie campground. There are some real nice environmental camps at Dry Lagoon State Park but you are in a Spruce forest not redwood.

In Jed Smith State park you want to camp at Jed Smith campground

These are all California state parks and have big redwoods in the campground. You will need to make reservations, so make them a quick as possible. Jed Smith is always full from June to September.

If you had to skip a park I would skip Prairie Creek State Park and add a day in Humboldt Redwoods State Park, it is the largest of the 3 and has the tallest trees.

Have Fun

GP

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best redwood park for camping & hiking?

It does not say on the map of Patrick's Point that there is any difference in the camping areas, so which is for RVs and which is for tents? If there are separate areas I wish they'd make it more clear!

…ca.gov/pages/…patrickspoint_legal_web.pdf

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best redwood park for camping & hiking?

The RV's are allowed in the one called Agate Campground.

gp1
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
580 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best redwood park for camping & hiking?

I like Patricks Point it is a wonderful park and great hiking, but there are very few if any redwood trees in Patricks Point. The forest there is mostly spruce just like Dry Lagoon. I think the op wanted to be in redwoods. On another note they re-opened the agate beach trail just a week ago.

Have Fun

GP

Edited: 29 November 2012, 22:05
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best redwood park for camping & hiking?

Looking at the ReserveAmerica site, it appears RVs are accepted in both Agate and Abalone loops - only Penn Creek is "tent only". Although with typical poor government planning, there are also some tent only sites mixed in the Abalone loop, right in the middle of possible generators running.

$35 a night for no hookups is pretty darn expensive IMO.

Get answers to your questions about Redwood National Park