We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopping point

California
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Stopping point

Trying to finish up planning my trip. Coming from Gold Beach Oregon thru redwoods and on to Sacramento. This forum has given me alot of great info on what to do in the redwoods but I'm not sure where to stay. Have 2 days would like to stay in Trinidad but would that be too far. Not giving us enough to time to explore. Husband has bad knee so we stop alot. So scenic drives, short hikes, just enjoying. Just trying to figure out our time.

Mentioned in this post
Gold Beach
Gold Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Sacramento
Sacramento
California
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
8,024 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stopping point

"Have 2 days would like to stay in Trinidad but would that be too far."

Too far from what? Trinidad is just a 2 hours 15 minute drive from Gold Beach according to google maps. Sacramento, though, is 5 hours 30 minute drive via Hwy 101 and CA 20.

Trinidad is a great place to stay if you want to see Redwood National Park.

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Sacramento
Sacramento
California
California
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stopping point

I know it's a little over a 2 hour drive from Gold Beach to Trinidad but we'll be stopping and driving to see the scenery. Would like to see Battery Point Lighthouse, Klamath drive thru tree, Fern Canyon, the Lady Bird Johnson Grove, & Point St George. Would like to drive the Newton Drury route & Howland Hill Rd. These are just a few of the things we'd like to do. And we'll stop to eat some where. I'm sure that all takes time on top of the 2+ hours to get to Trinidad. I don't know how long all of this will take and maybe it's too much. Just asking for some guidance. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Klamath
Klamath
California
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
8,024 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stopping point

You are wanting to do a lot and I don't see Fern Canyon on your list. I guess you could spend the night in Klamath and then see Prairie Creek the next day.

Maybe others can recommend a good place to stay. I'm not familiar with the lodging in that area since we always stay in Trinidad or camp.

Mentioned in this post
Klamath
Klamath
California
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,675 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stopping point

Redwood NP is a long 40-50 miles "string", and with the exception of Klamath, lodging is at either end. The problem with Klamath is that there is not much there other than a basic hamburger place and a steak place. Take a look at the Ravenwood motel - it's older but very tidy and the inside is a cut above standard cookie cutter rooms. There is also the Requa Inn, a B&B, and I believe they do serve dinner :-)

For a rough time estimate, I'd allow:

Lighthouse - 1 hour

Howland Hill Rd - 1+ hour

Drive thru tree - 30 minutes

Lady Bird grove - 1+ hour

Point St George - 30 minutes

Fern Canyon - 2+ hours

Drury scenic route - 30 minutes

As far as eateries, your choices are Crescent City or south in Trinidad. Orick has a hamburger stand but it's honestly overpriced - about $10 for a standard hamburger :-(

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Mentioned in this post
Klamath
Klamath
California
Crescent City
Crescent City
California
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
California
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stopping point

Thanks half-Brit for the time line. That helps alot. Would it be better to stay in Crescent City for 1 night and then come down to Trinidad for another night? What I'm thinking is using Crescent City as a base for the things that are closer there and then come down to Trinidad for the second night. Does that make sense?

Mentioned in this post
Crescent City
Crescent City
California
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,675 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stopping point

Yes, as long as you realize that the two locations are only a little over an hour apart if you drive straight through from one to the other!

You might be interested in going slightly farther south to Eureka as well - maybe a ride on the Madaket, the oldest operating sea vessel in the USA. They have a pleasant harbour cruise in the warmer months.

If you stay in Gold Beach the night before, it's only about an hour from there to Crescent City without stops, although there are numerous viewpoints to stop and admire the view.

Mentioned in this post
Crescent City
Crescent City
California
So Cal
Level Contributor
10,690 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stopping point

We stayed in Crescent City for three nights, and it worked well for us as a base for all the Redwood Parks. Yes, it is a bit of a drive south, but as long as you're prepared for that it's fine. At least it's a beautiful drive!

Mentioned in this post
Crescent City
Crescent City
California
8. Re: Stopping point

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Redwood National Park