We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Making the most of Hwy 101!

Omaha, Nebraska
8 posts
Save Topic
Making the most of Hwy 101!

Hi everyone! =]

My boyfriend and I will be flying into Portland on a Tuesday in August...we plan to rent a car and want to be in San Fran by Thursday evening/Friday afternoon at the latest. How long should we plan to take? Our number one MUST DO is a stop somewhere in the Redwoods...suggestions for the best places for scenery not too far off the 101/Redwood Hwy??

We also are planning to stay somewhere close by...would you recommend Crescent City? Or going all the way down to Eureka?

Any places for good stop bys close to the 101 (even beyond Redwoods) are much appreciated as we would like to make the most of this trip, but also try for it to be as quick as possible!

We appreciate your input! =]

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Making the most of Hwy 101!

The Avenue of the Giants is a beautiful drive just off the highway. The Fern Canyon hike is nice and not far from Hwy. 101.

Omaha, Nebraska
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Making the most of Hwy 101!

Thank you! We were planning on Avenue of the Giants--but wow! Fern Canyon hike looks pretty amazing! Definitely adding that to the 'must do' list. =]

gp1
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
631 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Making the most of Hwy 101!

Hi Sara Skizzle

Given your very short time frame I would skip Fern Canyon. The road there is not paved and has been in bad shape. With the drive in and out, plus the hike it would be at least 2+ hours. Spend that time taking the Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkway and do a short hike in the tall trees. Visit Trinidad, hike the Trinidad Head trail for wonderful ocean views. If you give us some more information like when are you getting to Portland. (You know it is 325 miles to the redwoods near Crescent city from Portland) We can better inform you of what to do and where to stop. There is alot to see between Portland and San Francisco you could fill a week. In two days you will just scratch the surface.

Have Fun

GP

Edited: 27 March 2013, 17:49
So Cal
Level Contributor
8,879 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Making the most of Hwy 101!

gp1, they were re-grading the dirt road area when I was there last October. However, it's still a bit of a drive - a steep dirt road through the forest (that's the portion they were working on), then a very rutted gravel road along the beach (including two or three sections where you ford a creek) to the Fern Canyon parking area. The canyon was lovely, but if you have limited time you want want to spend it somewhere else.

Perhaps Howland Hill Rd out of Crescent City? It's another dirt road, but seemed better kept. Quite a few lovely trails, the Smith River, beautiful trees. You really do need to get out of your car to see the best of it.

If you have enough time to spend, there are trails from Newton Drury that will take you through to Fern Canyon. I think that'd be the best part of a day, though - perhaps someone who's done the loop will post.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Making the most of Hwy 101!

You're leaving Portland on a Tuesday and need to be in SF on the Thursday. So one night only?

Which route are you planning on taking from Portland?

Omaha, Nebraska
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Making the most of Hwy 101!

Oh thank you GP and Jenazz. Many of the people I have spoken to have mostly said that it is in CA and not OR that we will want to stop the most...so we are thinking of skipping portland and instead flying straight into SF and do a 3 day round trip up the 101 to at least Newton Drury (that has been a top recommendation)... Do you think that would be better? That way we would have more time to sight see and could probably drive PCH one of the ways. Or should we stick with the original plan so we don't double up?

Whichever we decide, we will arive at our destination (SF or Portland) on the morning of August 20th and need to be in San Fran/San Jose by the afternoon of the 23rd...if we fly into San Fran we can leave that day..but if we go into Portland we would want to spend that day/night there to check out the city.

Never knew planning a roadtrip could be so stressful! ;]

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Making the most of Hwy 101!

>> Many of the people I have spoken to have mostly said that it is in CA and not OR that we will want to stop the most <<

Hmmm, that's probably because they don't live in Oregon . . .

I think your idea of flying into SF is better as it will give you more time in the redwoods. You do realize that Newton Drury is just old Hwy 101? Look at Howland Hill Road for a great experience:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60944-d14…

In northern California, the highway is called "Highway 1" or the coast road. "PCH" is only in southern Calif :-)

Omaha, Nebraska
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Making the most of Hwy 101!

Haha well its a funny deal, because I did a similar post in the Oregon forum and the only person to reply listed things in CA!

Oh jeez, I should know PCH is only in SoCal...I even debated typing it! =]

But thanks for the info--I am leaning towards starting in SF at the moment as that makes renting a car less expensive too!

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,879 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Making the most of Hwy 101!

We drove 101 from the Bay area to Crescent City in a day - made for a long albeit pretty drive. Then three nights in Crescent City before moving on. I think most people would say you need to allow at least a night on the road if you're going to take Hwy 1 instead.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Making the most of Hwy 101!

The tidal wave museum in Crescent City (in memory of the 1964 tsunami resulting from the big Alaska quake) was quite interesting.

Get answers to your questions about Redwood National Park