We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help with itinerary

Hi,

I have a couple of days in the Redwood National Park area, and was hoping someone could help me with some recommendations on particulars parts to visit, and in general just confirm if my plan is reasonable in the time frame, or if anyone has suggestions for anything I may change. Planning on renting a SUV which I hope will be fine for driving on any roads required to access the trails in October.

Day 1: Driving from Yosemite to Eureka (long drive I know), so no time to do anything that day

Day 2: Drive up to Crescent City, walk the Boy Scout Tree Trail and Stout Grove. I'm not sure how much time I may have left after this? I can either drive back to Eureka, or stay in Crescent City

Day 3: If I stay in Crescent City, head south and walk the Lady Bird Johnson Grove Trail and Big Tree Loop, and carry on back to Eureka

Day 4: Drive back to San Francisco via Avenue of the Giants, I would love to avoid the busiest traffic times heading backing into San Francisco if at all possible, will be driving to the airport to drop off rental car then catching taxi into city

Many thanks

Edited: 23 May 2013, 03:13
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,721 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinerary

Driving back, just take Hwy 101 all the way. You may run into some traffic around Santa Rosa if they are still widening freeway lanes, but you should be fine going into San Francisco because you will be against the commute traffic.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itinerary

Thanks, I was thinking of taking Hwy 1 instead of 101, looks like that will add an extra hour onto the drive however, so I guess it may depend on what time we start driving.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itinerary

You don't need a SUV in Redwood National Park or anywhere on the North Coast unless you like that type of vehicle.

Hwy 1 will add a lot more than 1 hour to your drive. Be careful with what time you try to drive into SF. Traffic backs up on Fridays and weekends in the evening. There's also the toll issue.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itinerary

Any interest in Fern Canyon or Enderts Beach? Alternatives to trees in the park?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with itinerary

Thanks, Fern Canyon looks great, given the walks/places I've planned are short walks I think I should be able to check out Enderts Beach on Day 2 after Boy Scout Tree Trail and Stout Grove, and then visit Fern Canyon on Day 3 along with Lady Bird Johnson Grove and Big Tree Loop.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with itinerary

The main downside to Fern Canyon is the dirt road to get there, but the Jurassic Park tie-in is interesting for many: www.everytrail.com/guide/going-jurassic

The Klamath Overlook tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g32564-d2483… might also be worthwhile on the way -- especially if you decide you want a nice dinner at the Requa Inn www.requainn.com/eating-here/eating-here.htm (one of the family members who own the Inn is from NZ).

gp1
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
569 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with itinerary

hi davidwhite_nz

You might be a planning a bit too much. I visited the south island for 21 days 5 years ago and I do not think you can compare the distance. It is much easier to get around the south island than northern california. I visited Yosemite last year from Eureka and broke the drive into 2 days. You might make it in one day but it will be a very long day. Are you coming in early or late October? Day length will be a factor. If your just stopping for the night look at the best western in Garberville instead of Eureka. You will want to stay in Crescent City on the second day.Then on the third day head south to maybe Eureka or Fortuna where you can stay near the Eel River Brewery. On your last day make sure you take the time to drive up Bull Creek just off the Ave. of the Giants. If anywhere in California will remind you of the south island it will be Humboldt County.

Have Fun

GP

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,788 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with itinerary

Enderts Beach is very easy to get to as you take a paved road that is the old highway :-) Once you park, you'll be walking (can't call this "hiking") along a broad graveled . . . old wagon road. The walk is very easy until the last few hundreds yards which go down the steepish hill to the beach. Depending upon how fast you walk, the whole round trip can be done in about an hour or so.

Fern Canyon is a different kind of critter. It's about 5-6 miles of rough, potholed dirt road to the beach, then another couple of slightly better road. The route includes fording creeks. When we were there a few weeks ago, the first creek was quite high and I opted not to cross it. (Frankly, I was sick of the jostling and thumping on my car & tires!) Then you will want time to walk/hike. Then back out on the same rough road. My point here is that this will take probably at least 3 hours round trip from 101.

The Klamath Overlook is a quick trip and a nice view. On the south side of the Klamath you can see the few remains of the bridge that was destroyed in the 1964 flood, drive some of the old wagon road on the hill, look at a private cemetery and visit a WWII radar station (short walk from road).

Edited: 24 May 2013, 05:05
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with itinerary

Thanks GP, will be departing Yosemite on the 19th October. I have driven for 6-8 hours several times around the South Island (and I don't mind driving), which is what I've based the drive on from Yosemite to Eureka. Would stopping at Garberville purely be to knock an hour off the journey? Beyond that first day of driving, do you consider the rest to be a bit much? I've tried picking spots close to each other (Boy Scout Tree Trail and Stout Grove for example), and the walks themselves look to be an hour or less each. Will definitely stay in Crescent City the 2nd night, and head back to Eureka on the 3rd night. Fern canyon doesn't sound the greatest but if I'm left with a few hours to kill I'll take a look. Thanks again for all the advice.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with itinerary

Actually as I'm in a rental car, Fern Canyon might not be appropriate, so may have to give that a miss.

Get answers to your questions about Redwood National Park