We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patrick's Point State Park

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
346 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Patrick's Point State Park

Hello TA,

I'll be going only for one day and won't be able to do lot of things in RNP. Just wondering if hiking from Rim Trail to Rocky Point at 0.75 mile is worth to include in my itinerary.

Thank you for your help.

AJ

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
346 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Patrick's Point State Park

Hello, did I post this in wrong forum?

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,731 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Patrick's Point State Park

No, this is correct. Just waiting for the experts to come by. Half-Brit and Al Tippet must not have seen this yet.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,449 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Patrick's Point State Park

At 3/4 mile, this won't take you long, so it will be easy to add into your day. Patrick's Point is a really neat park - lots of spectacular rocky coastline.

Whether you should take time from your 1 day in the area to visit Patrick's Point really depends on what else you are planning to do that day and what you would have to give up to visit Patrick's Point. Also, what else are you doing on the rest of the trip.

While Patrick's Point is spectacular, I am assuming you are coming to the area to see the coastal redwoods, so it seems reasonable that you would want to spend most, if not all, of your time visiting the redwoods. And, if the rest of your itinerary includes places like Mendocino or Big Sur, you can get your fill of rocky coastline there. On the other hand, if this is your only opportunity to see the rocky CA north coast, taking a couple hours out of your 1 day to visit Patrick's Point may be a good choice.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,731 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Patrick's Point State Park

Thanks November. We are camping there over Labor Day weekend so looking forward to the salty ocean sprays! How does this compare to Pt Lobos or other areas along the Central Coast?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
346 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Patrick's Point State Park

Thx for the reply.

I found all this interesting places from TA forum. I know we can’t see all these in one day. Could you pls help me what to exclude from this list.

1. Stout Grove (Hike half mile)

2. Enderts Beach (stroll)

3. Trees of Mystery (only planning to take gondolas)

4. Redwood Scenic Parkway (planning to hike .8 mile Carruthers Cove Trail and .3 mile Ah-Pah Interpretive Trail)

5. Cal-Barrel Road (drive)

6. Fern Canyon (planning to hike 0.7-mile loop)

7. Lady Bird Johnson Grove (planning to hike 1-mile loop)

8. Kuchel Visitor Center (to see art exhibits & a film)

9. Patrick's Point State Park (?)

10. Loleta Cheese Factory

11. Ferndale (walk around)

12. Avenue of the Giants (scenic drive)

13. Shrine Drive-Thru Tree

14. Shelter Cove (stroll Black Sands Beach)

15. World Famous Tree House

Also, All these places are ok to take seven passenger van? We will be six frnds. We don't have four wheel vehicle.

Thx, AJ

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,731 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Patrick's Point State Park

We will need to hear where you will be staying. Are you driving through on your way somewhere or staying put for a few days?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
346 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Patrick's Point State Park

We are coming from LA. We don't know yet where we are staying. Once we finalize our itinerary, we can decide on accommodation.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,449 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Patrick's Point State Park

anita - in a 7 passenger van, I would eliminate Fern Canyon right off the bat. It is several miles down a dirt road and has a couple of places where you need to ford a creek. The fords are well-maintained and pretty easy, but I don't know about doing it in a van loaded with people (and stuff?). So although the canyon is really neat, given the longish drive to get in there combined with possible access issues with the van, I would skip it.

chinita - How cool to be spending Labor Day weekend at Patrick's Point. I am trying to get a family camping trip arranged for next summer and Patrick's Point is one of the top contenders - I hope it wins :-) The coastline there is similar to Big Sur only it feels more wild to me. You have a lot of the same flora and fauna, but the weather is more severe than Big Sur - you get stronger winter storms there and even in the summer, you kind of feel that additional wildness. Plus, it is way less-visited than Big Sur, so with fewer people it actually IS more wild.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
346 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Patrick's Point State Park

Thx! Fern Canyon is must see. I guess we will take a car. I know all 15 spots can't be done in one day. What should we exclude? Everything else are easy to go in a regualar car? We don't have four wheel vehicle.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,731 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Patrick's Point State Park

If you want more meaningful responses OP, please share some more info. So far we only know you have one day with 6 people in a van from LA.

- how many days total from LA

- any other destinations besides the Redwoods

- on full day and rushing back to LA is very different than one day on your way to and from San Francisco

- moblity and age of the travelers

Get answers to your questions about Redwood National Park