We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bald Hills Road

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
308 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Bald Hills Road

Hi, we're visiting the Redwood area in early June. After spending 2 1/2 days near Crescent City we'll be heading for Medford OR.

It's not a long drive so I'm looking for more interesting ways to get there. My maps program says take Route 199, but I noticed the Bald Hills Road to route 96 to I-5 route.

I checked some of the route out on google earth and saw that part of Bald Hills is dirt, that doesn't bother us, as long as it's well maintained. About half way through it looks to turn to pavement. Is this a worthwhile trip. Is it scenic?

My husband does not like 'cliff drives'. So if there's anything like that on this route it would have to be out. I took him on the Going to the Sun road once and I've never heard the end of it. So I do need to know what the conditions are along the road.

I'm reading through posts on this forum to get ideas for our time in Redwood...so helpful.

Thanks.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,318 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bald Hills Road

I would avoid Bald Hills Road then if your husband doesn't like mountain roads. I would also avoid 299 to Willow Creek. Take 199 to Grant's Pass instead. You could then visit the Oregon Caves on your way.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
308 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bald Hills Road

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I do not want to upset my husband!

I'll have to look up about Oregon Caves, I've never heard of it.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,318 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bald Hills Road

Here's the link:

http://www.nps.gov/orca/index.htm

Also, Jacksonville is an interesting stop on your way to Medford.

http://jacksonvilleoregon.com/

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bald Hills Road

I was going to suggest Oregon Caves as well. It's a very easy drive through pretty forests - the road does wind and climb, but I don't remember it being an edge-of-the-cliff drive at all, just pleasant. The caves are maybe an hour each way from the 199. The tour was really interesting (a lot depends on your guide - ours was terrific) and the caves were unexpectedly lovely; the visitor center and hotel were interesting, too. There are also some hiking trails in the park, although we didn't have time for them.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bald Hills Road

Oh my gosh, no, you don't want 96! You'll be driving and driving and think you'll never see the end of it ;-) It's also rather dull - miles and miles of trees.

On 199, the only stretch that you husband won't like is a few miles east of Crescent City where the road goes between a steep hillside and the Smith River. You'll be on the "outside", so yes there will be a drop off for a short period. It's maybe 3-4 miles. The rest of the road is just fine, some slower curvy stretches here and there but they are also of short duration. No other 'cliffs'.

Noticing your handsome avatar, you might be interested in this:

http://greatcatsworldpark.com/cmsj/

When you get closer to Grants Pass, there is a cutoff highway to Medford, Hwy 238. It goes through the Applegate Valley which is quite pleasant. There is a teeny tiny ghost town near Ruch:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g28958-d1898…

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
308 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bald Hills Road

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did mention the caves to my husband and I got the...'we've been to Carlsbad and Luray, what's the difference?'. So I'll check out the links and see if I can answer that. Hiking in the park would be a great.

We did like visiting Rhyolite, a ghost town in Nevada a few years ago, so going to another one might be interesting.

'Brady' is my avatar and I don't know that he would like those kind of cats!

Thanks again

7. Re: Bald Hills Road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Redwood National Park