We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boise - Redwoods ~ Super quick road trip! Help!

Anchorage, Alaska
8 posts
Save Topic
Boise - Redwoods ~ Super quick road trip! Help!

Hi there ~

We're planning a super quick trip out to the Redwoods in July. Somehow we need to cram as much sightseeing, fun & smiles into this. 2 adults, 2 kids (7 & 10). The kids have never seen this part of the U.S. before so it's really all about them. We hope to mix some awesome scenery with some cool things for them to see/do.

The tentative plan is as follows:

July 13th - leaving very early from Boise & driving to Gold Hill, OR

July 14th - Gold Hill, OR

July 15th - Trinidad, CA

July 16th - Cheap, clean hotel with super late check-in just to crash on the way home somewhere?

July 17th - plan to arrive super late into Helena, MT

Yes, I realize there are HOURS in the car here. Not the greatest itinerary, but it's all we have to work with so want to make the most of it. :-) We've reserved a yurt for the 2 nights in Gold Hill. We've also rented a nice beach cottage while in Trinidad. The accommodations aren't an issue. We can figure that out. We're just looking for:

1. The most scenic routes between these destinations due to the limited time

2. Interesting, worthwhile things for the kids to see/do along the way

a. Which places shouldn't be missed? There are so many cool natural sights and museums to see as we make our way across OR.

b. Best route through the Redwoods?

I know this is asking A LOT. I have traveled extensively and know this can be done, but there will be A LOT of time spent in the car. Any suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

1. Re: Boise - Redwoods ~ Super quick road trip! Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 June 2014, 02:35
Anchorage, Alaska
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Boise - Redwoods ~ Super quick road trip! Help!

Oh geez. I didn't come here for negativity, if that's what you mean by your post. Please save it for someplace besides TripAdvisor travel forums where people are just seeking some helpful suggestions based on their love for travel and their limitations. Thanks and have a lovely day.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
916 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boise - Redwoods ~ Super quick road trip! Help!

Sorry I can't help with details but just a suggestion. We've found that our grandson, 8, really enjoys audiobooks on our long days in the car. Unlike a screen device he can still watch the scenery and enjoy a story (with headphones). He's into the Lemony Snickett and Percy Jackson books now and our library system had several of them available on CD's.

Car trips can be a lot of fun!

4. Re: Boise - Redwoods ~ Super quick road trip! Help!

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 19:09
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,949 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boise - Redwoods ~ Super quick road trip! Help!

That's a good idea, CopperJR. It's about 7+ hours from Trinidad to Portland [area] via 199 and I-5, plus about another hour via I-84 to The Dalles, so that would be a long day, but easy driving.

Not sure how long it would take from The Dalles to Helena?

Helena, Montana
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boise - Redwoods ~ Super quick road trip! Help!

If you have time in Helena and want a couple extraordinary places to see, check out Gates of the Mountains (a ferry that takes you through Lewis & Clark's boat trip down the Missouri River - about a 2-3 hour advernture), or take a tour of the St. Helena Cathedral. Don't miss the original Steve's Cafe - there's one in Meridian. Great breakfast.

Also, if your staying more than a day in Helena, stay for the Symphony under the Stars - a free outdoor syphony concert that you can experience with 10,000 of your new best friends. It's a picnic, it's a concert, it's amazing and happens Satruday night, July 19.

And, if you need a place to stay, check in at Jorgenson's Inn & Suites. We're Helena's top-rated independent hotel in the heart of Helena' Capitol District. I hope you enjoy the recommendations. Safe travels!

LA
Level Contributor
10,044 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Boise - Redwoods ~ Super quick road trip! Help!

No self-promotion allowed on TA, JTuckerJR.

8. Re: Boise - Redwoods ~ Super quick road trip! Help!

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Redwood National Park