We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help for Redwood NP

Santa Clara, CA
Level Contributor
71 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help for Redwood NP

Hi,

We are a family of 5, two kids (6 & 2.5), reasonably fit mom & dad and grandmom who can't hike much. I am trying to put together a reasonable plan for RNP. Please help with ideas & comments

Day 1 - Leave SF bay area (we are locals so no flying in) in the morning and head north along 101

Stops :- Richardson Grove State Park & Avenue of Giants. Would the Lost Coast scenic drive be worth it or should we head north to the California Coastal trail? Is the Sequoia Park & zoo worth a stop for kids?

We are staying in the Holiday Inn in Mckinleyville.

Day 2 - Drive north towards Crescent city

Stops :-Patrick’s Point State park, Trinidad Memorial Lighthouse, Moondstone beach, Humboldt Lagoons State Park, Prairie Creek Redwoods State park,Lady Bird Johnson Grove, Newton B Drury Parkway, Gold Bluffs Beach, Kuchel Visitor Center, Trees of Mystery, End of trail Museum

Requa Road, Klamath River

I know this is waaaay too much but didn't know which to pick. Please help!

We are staying in Crescent city at Ocean View Inn.

Day 3 - Spend the morning in Crescent City area.

Drive to Enderts beach, walk down to the beach

Jeddiah Smith State park (hike? or walk in Stout Grove and drive Howland Road)

After lunch we are driving to Oregon caves monument and from there to crater lake.

Our main interests are seeing animals (really hoping we see some elk), beautiful scenery, moderate hiking and being among nature.

Thanks for your help,

Urmila

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help for Redwood NP

Hi, no the Lost Coast drive itself takes at least a half day and the pavement is quite rough. The kids would be bored to tears!

The zoo, on the other hand, is a really fun place for kids and adults as well. It's cute and very well managed. Next door at the park, there are giant trees, a pond, lovely gardens and creeks with nice walking trails throughout. Very pleasant.

You might also like to stop at the One Log House at Richardson Grove. Fun little stop.

Day 2 - Oh my yes, that's too much in one day! First I would take out Gold Bluffs Beach. It's a long drive out on a bumpy dirt/gravel road and to be honest, the beach is . . . a beach. Just like many others in the area that are a heck of a lot easier to get to!

Trinidad is a picturesque village and is worth visiting, but the lighthouse you are probably thinking of is not a real lighthouse. It's a replica of the top part of a lighthouse, right in town. Pretty, though.

I've not been to Lady Bird Johnson grove in years, but you'll see countless huge redwoods in many places. You'll go right through Prairie Creek Redwoods SP. You'll also go right by the lagoons and can decide if you want to take a few minutes at waters edge.

Newton Drury is a definite yes as is Kuchel VC. I think the Requa Road viewpoint is well worth the 20 minutes it will take to see. Trees of Mystery is *very*popular.

Have you thought about the drive through tree? Your children may enjoy it - you can easily walk through if your vehicle is too large. Fun quick stop in Klamath:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32564-d10…

Day 3 - Enderts Beach is a very pleasant, scenic walk ... Stout Grove is very nice ... Howland Hill Road is great. Do stop by Battery Point lighthouse, although you can only get to it at low tide and the causeway is kind of rough.

You should see elk north of Trinidad around the Little Red Schoolhouse and usually at Prairie Meadows.

-

There is a minimum height restriction at Oregon Caves, so check that out.

2. Re: Itinerary help for Redwood NP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Redwood National Park