We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jedediah Smith Redwoods or Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park

Pound Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Jedediah Smith Redwoods or Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park

Driving south from Gold Beach (on way to Trinidad, CA) next Sunday 8/17. Plan on stopping at Cape Sebastian for a quick hike around. Would also like to do some moderate hiking in one of the two parks above. I thought we (my husband and I) could do both, but after looking at the maps, I realize it's probably better to do one and have more time to enjoy the hike. We are early risers and will be on the road by 9:00/10:00 am from Gold Beach. It seems to me it would make more sense to do Prairie Creek because it's more direct from Hwy 101 on route to Trinidad, where Jedediah Smith is more of a trek to get to and back to Hwy 101. Any advice over one or the other would be appreciated. Is there really something to be missed if we don't see both? Open for any tips. Thanks, Meg C.

Redding, California
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jedediah Smith Redwoods or Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park

Prairie Creek is my choice with its fabulous fern canyon and elk.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jedediah Smith Redwoods or Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park

I think you should be fine with Prairie Creek even though Jed Smith is really wonderful and was the setting for Endor: Star Wars Ewok land. www.mdvaden.com/redwood_star_wars.shtml

Fern Canyon is great (and Jurassic Park:Lost World was filmed there) but does take some time to drive to on unpaved roads so you might not save too much time compared to Jed Smith. Easier hikes to get to include Big Trees trail and the Brown Creek Loop redwoodhikes.com/PrairieCreek/PrairieCreek.h…

I'm sure also that others will come along and rave about Jed Smith. So in the end, it's about how much time you have.

Edited: 11 August 2014, 02:47
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,517 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jedediah Smith Redwoods or Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park

Ah, glad you posted here as well, meg c. I'll repost my answer from your other thread although the links won't be live here:

Gold Beach is about a short hour from Crescent City. Are you early risers so you have most of the day? How long a hike are you looking for?

Jed Smith is only about 6 miles off 101, so not too far!

If you scroll down to the bottom of this page, there is information:

Do be sure to drive Newton Drury scenic drive!

Although I'm not a hiker, I've been on several of the walking trails around Newton Drury / Prairie Creek. Most of them are walks as opposed to real "hiking' - they are easy to moderate, mostly level and some very short ones less than a mile. There is more of a variety here than at Jed Smith. The link below will give you some good descriptions:

Fern Canyon is an option if you have time. Fee area.

If you wanted, you might be able to just drive Howland Hill Road to see more trees without taking the time to walk/hike. Without stops, it's about 30-40-ish minutes or so. It's been recently graded:

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,110 posts
6,099 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jedediah Smith Redwoods or Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park

It is easy to drive from 101 to Jedidiah Smith. The thing that is good about it also is that its warmer than the coast so in the summer one can actually go swimming! Nice place to hike (especially if colder on the coast).

5. Re: Jedediah Smith Redwoods or Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Redwood National Park