We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fresh produce

chicago
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Topic
Fresh produce

Just wondering if fresh herbs are available on the island(cilantro and basil)? Also how are the fresh veggies there? Particularly the lettuce and tomatoes? We did not have good luck with these items while on other islands. Thanks:)

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,442 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fresh produce

One of the big pluses to vacationing on GC is the availability of excellent grocery items! Often better tha what we find at hme in USA at very good local grocery store or even Whole Foods:-) We do our general shopping at excellent Foster's Strand Shopping Center location and for specialty cheeses, olive bar, other niche items Foster's Bay Market in Camana Bay.

If you are staying Northside, East End, Cayman Kai, Hurley's will be closer and has always been mentioned as a wonderful market.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fresh produce

I did see fresh cilantro at the grocery store last month.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fresh produce

Cilantro is plentiful and goes for about $1.50 CI for a good sized bunch at both Foster's and Kirk. You can 80% of the time find Basil at Kirks and Fosters. Sells for $1.99 CI at Fosters and $3.99 CI at Kirk (they only carry an organic one for some reason). Tomatoes and Lettuce are always good quality and a good variety of different kinds of both as well. The only vegetable that I find doesn't travel particularly well to Cayman is cucumbers. Don't know why but they are never as crisp as you'd find in the Sates.

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fresh produce

Actually, if you are staying "Northside, East End, Cayman Kai," Fosters Food Fair in Savannah is the closest "big" grocery store (i.e. closer than Hurleys). All of the "big" grocery stores have a good selection of fresh veggies and (usually) fresh herbs. Some fresh produce can be found at Chisholms (small store in North Side) and Fosters Express (East End) but the options from these two stores will be limited.

Edited: 20 January 2014, 04:11
chicago
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fresh produce

Thanks everyone for the info! 9 more days and we will be in paradise:)

Farmington
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fresh produce

I'm glad this question was asked! We will be staying in Northside area as well, and I was wondering if Chisholm's or Foster's Express would have lettuce, for making salads in particular,, or if I'd have to plan to drive further..... Does anyone know whether these two stores carry lettuce of any kind?

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fresh produce

I remember seeing lettuce (head and maybe romaine) at Foster's Express. I don't remember seeing any at Chisholms, but then I didn't really look.

BTW, there is a sign at Foster's Express stating that you can "special order" meat for the next day's delivery. I wonder if they would also do this for fruits and veggies?

Edited: 20 January 2014, 20:12
chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fresh produce

I actually boight head lettuce at both Fosters Express and chisholms

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fresh produce

How about fruit?

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fresh produce

Maybe Caymanshelly can check in about fruits at Fosters and Chisholms.

I bought mine from road side stands - apple bananas, sweet sop, along with a coconut and some plantain (mangos were not yet in season), and the Market at the Ground near Savannah (limes, fresh greens, etc.). I went to the stand in next to the Everglo Restaurant (between Breakers and Bodden Town) several times. They open at 11 am.

There is also a stand along Frank Sound Road (which in front of, I believe, the North Side Heritage (?) Nursery that will sell local fruits and veggies, when in season.

Get answers to your questions about North Side
More North Side Topics