We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mauna lani Sea adventure sail

Redwood Shores...
Level Contributor
77 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Mauna lani Sea adventure sail

We'll be staying at the Mauna Lani in early March and have heard great things about the Mauna Lani sea adventures snorkel sail...is it worth doing this, or is the snorkeling just as good right off the beaches that are available at the ML?

I have also heard great things about the Fair Winds snorkel, but the draw of the ML sea adventures is that they leave right from our hotel, and on Sundays they have half price for kids (45.00), which makes it very reasonable for a family of 4.

We are looking for a good family activity while we are on the island other than general sightseeing, and trying to pick only 1-2 that we think our kids would really enjoy. Any other ideas?

Also, is the sailing choppy during March, and is the the ML sail more choppy than Fair Winds (larger boat), because sea sickness could be a concern and we should plan ahead (get medicine) if necessary, or not go if the time of year isn't good.

thanks!

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mauna lani Sea adventure sail

To get the thread going, I'll answer. Staying at the Orchid 6 yrs ago, they had some 2 for 1 offers so we did a snorkel and a afternoon whalewatch. We like Capt Zodiac better, but for the price( 2 for 1) and convenience it was fine. My impression was they could have been more professional, maybe that has changed since? Anyways, definately get out on the water for a snorkel in March, as it doubles as a whale watch

Canada
Level Contributor
9,167 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mauna lani Sea adventure sail

I would recommend you do both shore and boat snorkeling while on the Big Island

The shore snorkeling at Mauna Lani (Makaiwa Bay) is nearby and terrific.....very sheltered.

Hula kai is a tour to consider. ....new vessel...

http://www.fair-wind.com/hula-kai

March is a wonderful time to visit the Big Island.....and the South Kohala region is known for having prime weather conditions.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,210 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mauna lani Sea adventure sail

The shore snorkeling off the Mauna Lani is as good as anything you're going to see by boat in the Kohala region. (Hula Kai is great for down south). However, the primary reason IMO to do the boat tour is to see whales and dolphins and other marine life you may not get to see from shore.

March can be tricky up north. We still get periodic northwest swells and the wind can be bad, especially in the afternoon.

For me seasickness isn't less likely the bigger the boat, in fact the sickest I've ever been was on a mega cruiseship. I'm an avid diver and snorkeler and have gotten it basically managed by throwing the kitchen sink at it. Dramamine the night before, Bonine the day of, wearing wristbands, and on the boat chewing on candied ginger and drinking ginger ale. :-)

Edited: 21 January 2012, 18:31
Redwood Shores...
Level Contributor
77 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mauna lani Sea adventure sail

Thanks for your posts. I agree, part of going on the sail was to see dolphins and whales in the wild, I think my boys would really enjoy that.

The sail on Sunday from 9-12, so morning. They also said that you can cancel 24 hrs in advance, so if we get there and the weather doesn't look good we can always cancel.

We just wanted to do it right from our hotel, rather than have to drive all the way to Kona to do the Hula Kai, which I hear is great, but more expensive and much further drive.

5. Re: Mauna lani Sea adventure sail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2013, 10:43