We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can you trust the condo you'd get on Expedia?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Topic
can you trust the condo you'd get on Expedia?

Hello,

I've just found a great deal for a car and 2 br condo at Mauni Lani Point for our summer trip. Basically the same price as the condo alone on vrbo (and I've checked all the 2 br, on vrbo they are at least that price or higher). So by booking expedia I'm basically getting the car free. Wondering if anyone has experience with the type of unit you can expect? If I book a 2 bedroom ocean view (paying an upgrade for ocean view) is it likely all my dreams will come true? The pics on the expedia site are exactly the same condo for 1 br fairway, 2 br ocean view, etc so I'm assuming its a "sample" of what we'd get (although I also haven't found that in writing anywhere). Thanks for any info you have.

Laura

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: can you trust the condo you'd get on Expedia?

I would book on Expedia 100 times over VRBO.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,123 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: can you trust the condo you'd get on Expedia?

The Point is fantastic and Expedia is very reliable and secure. Go for it!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can you trust the condo you'd get on Expedia?

3rd vote for go for it!

Colorado
Level Contributor
250 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: can you trust the condo you'd get on Expedia?

we booked through VRBO and had good luck...nice places and reasonable prices at three outof the four condos we booked around the island...4th had a minor problem......please let me know why you all think booking through Expedia is better...maybe I'll do that next time...does Expedia show you the exact condo that you're booking or does it offer a "similar"...I'm pretty picky about some aspects of the places in which we stay...

also, I booked my flights through Expedia and had all sorts of problems, so I'm left wondering.....thanks, Ana

Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: can you trust the condo you'd get on Expedia?

I've stayed at Mauna Lani Point a few years ago and I think it will all depend on the unit itself. The one we had was a one bedroom and it was very nicely appointed and clean. Remember, these condos have been there for many years and some could very well need some tlc. Hard to call. Nice golf golf and ocean views though. Hope yours is an upstairs unit.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: can you trust the condo you'd get on Expedia?

Ana, don't wonder. In this case, as the OP indicated, the price is lower than anywhere else, and with the current real estate problems (foreclosures) I wouldn't be very comfortable renting from an individual.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,123 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: can you trust the condo you'd get on Expedia?

I've been in several Point units in the last two years, they were all beautiful, the complex is impeccably maintained, and I think it's one of the nicest luxury condo complexes on the island. The units are 1100-1700 square feet, high ceilings, and high end finishes. The reviews also indicate a high level of satisfaction. But the most attractive feature, IMO, is their location, as I said, the walking distance access to snorkeling, swimming, and great beaches is pretty special and unique for the Big Island, especially in conjunction with the panoramic views.

Expedia often has better prices than vrbo plus additional perks, plus there's more security in booking.

Colorado
Level Contributor
250 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: can you trust the condo you'd get on Expedia?

I will probably go through Expedia next time...thanks for your advice on this...ana

9. Re: can you trust the condo you'd get on Expedia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 03:16