We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mauna kea beach hotel or mauna lani bungalow with two kids

I T
Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
70 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
mauna kea beach hotel or mauna lani bungalow with two kids

Hi we decided to spend and full day and night at the kohala coast since we are based in kona. My hubby will be playing golf while I enjoy a nice pool and beach. I want relaxation not disneyland so hilton is out. What is a better choice mauna kea beach hotel, hapuna price or mauna lani bugalows. The prices are not so much of a difference I prefer the best one

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,651 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mauna kea beach hotel or mauna lani bungalow with two kids

I'm surprised you're finding that the prices are the same, the Hapuna Prince is a far inferior hotel to the other two but is usually much cheaper. I wouldn't even consider it if you can move up to one of the other two.

The choice between the Mauna Kea and the Mauna Lani is a hard one, although again, usually the Mauna Lani is cheaper, although I personally find it a superior hotel. The reason it's tough is because the Mauna Kea is on one of, if not the, nicest beach on the island, Kauna'oa. It's long (for the BI), has great, almost white, fine sand, and clear swimming. The snorkeling is not so great, but it's a great beach nonetheless. The hotel is nice and was recently remodeled. For the money, however, I find the service, small pool, and spa lacking.

I much prefer the Mauna Lani overall because it is the most Hawaiiana of the resorts, with an excellent sea turtle release program, beautiful grounds with ancient fishponds that have been restored and maintained, a nice pool, and, the main reason I like it, the best snorkeling and "house reef" by far of any hotel on the island. The beach, Makaiwa Bay, is lovely but smallish. It's quite protected so even when there's a lot of wind, it stays usable, unlike Hapuna or Kauna'oa.

At the Mauna Lani, you have two courses, the north and south. If you stay at Mauna Kea, you have the Mauna Kea course plus privileges at the Hapuna course. The Mauna Kea course is the most expensive and the hardest. While it's beautiful, I prefer the Mauna Lani courses.

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mauna kea beach hotel or mauna lani bungalow with two kids

I think Mauna Lani is the most wonderful "Hawaiian" hotel ever. The place is magical.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mauna kea beach hotel or mauna lani bungalow with two kids

The bungalows at the Mauna Lani?! Those are thousands a night, celebrities stay there to enjoy the privacy and the 24/7 butler service! There is no way the prices you mention are similar!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
284 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mauna kea beach hotel or mauna lani bungalow with two kids

We stayed at the Hapuna last year & found it fine for us. Nice beach n pool area, rooms clean n spacious bathrooms. We did visit the Mauna kea for lunch , they r sister hotels n u can walk across the golf course from one to the other ( thereis a walking path..no dodging swinging clubs!) & it seemed nice enough. Didn't see a room so can't judge there but for the price I'd happily stay at hapuna prince again & use the cash for more Mai tais ;)

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,651 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mauna kea beach hotel or mauna lani bungalow with two kids

TT, the Mauna Lani advertises itself as The Mauna Lani Bay hotel and bungalows, I don't think the OP meant an actual bungalow, just a room. :-)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mauna kea beach hotel or mauna lani bungalow with two kids

The Mauna Lani is really cool, but it's also not that hard to visit it and enjoy it.

The Mauna Kea is a great place to swim for the day and beach it.

If it's winter I would pick ML. In summer I would pick Mauna Kea.

But either is great.

The pools are not that special though. The properties have so much beauty that they don't rely on the pools although they are nice.

What do your kids really like to do? The two beaches are quite different.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mauna kea beach hotel or mauna lani bungalow with two kids

Sorry, I thought the OP referred to the bungalows at the ML since the post said "...or mauna lani bungalow..." Those sure are different than the hotel rooms there! (I was in running for the GM job of the bungalows back in the early 90's when Charlie Park was the GM for the resort. I finished second, but the guy they hired lasted only for six months. In the meantime I became the DFB for the Ritz-Carlton.)

I T
Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
70 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mauna kea beach hotel or mauna lani bungalow with two kids

Thank you for your replies!!!!! As usual your input is super helpful and appreciated!!!!!! We decided on Mauna Lani. Three more weeks till beautiful Hawaii :)

This is the plan

Day 1 Kona- wyndham

Day2 - Head South to Volcano- breafast- black sand beach, bakery then volcano park- check into Volcano village lodge for one night

Day 3 - Hilo gardens and waterfallls- head to the coast towards waimea eat and eat but yes calories and all malasadas please lol- go back to kona

Day 4- Kona: Captain Cook- Fair wind cruise- snorkle/ hula daddys / jackie reys

Day 5 head to Mauna Lani enjoy area dinner at Merrimans

Day 6 golf am tee hubby/ enjoy area and head back to Kona

Day 7 - last full day to enjoy and dinner buffet at four seasons

Day 8 am flight to oahu

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,651 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mauna kea beach hotel or mauna lani bungalow with two kids

Sounds good. I wouldn't bother with hula daddy's (they must be getting some good advertising somewhere? Everyone is mentioning them) unless you're going up to Holualoa which is a cute little village with galleries. I wouldn't choose Jackie Rey's either, Holuakoa Cafe (in Holualoa) is better.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,043 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mauna kea beach hotel or mauna lani bungalow with two kids

It seems like a lot of driving and moving to me. Is there a way to rearrange your accommodations differently? Could you fly into Hilo, hang out and do east side and volcano, then drive north and stay at Mauna Lani, then fly out of Kona. Or you may do the reverse, but driving 3-4 hours one way to the east side, then 3-4 hours back and picking up and moving constantly seems really tiring.