We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kohala Coast condo recommendations

Burnaby, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Kohala Coast condo recommendations

Hi everyone,

We plan to stay on the BI for two weeks at the end of March next year. We have relatives who have chosen to stay in Kona (White Sands Village) but we like the sound of the Kohala Coast much more (less vog, better weather, closer to nice beaches, snorkelling, and hiking). We're thinking if we want to see our relatives every couple of days we could all meet up somewhere - likely near us, as we're staying in a nicer area :) We realize this means someone will have a drive of about an hour.

First, does this decision seem to make sense - in particular, it is based on anticipated Kona vog and weather at the end of March, and whether snorkelling conditions are good on the Kohala Coast at that time.

Second, can you recommend a condo - we are considering Waikoloa Colony Villas but are open to suggestions. We are a family of four, with kids aged 8 and 11. Here are our criteria:

MUST have a kitchen and a reasonably nice pool. Must come in under $200 a night, and the further under, the better!

NO NEED for access to golf, restaurants, or shopping. No need for luxury furnishings either.

We would really like a clean, quiet complex, beautiful grounds, and walking access (up to 15 minute walk as long as its not along a busy road) to a beach. If that beach has nice sand or good snorkelling (intermediate level is fine) so much the better!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,066 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kohala Coast condo recommendations

I think it's a reasonable idea, not only do I think the Kohala Coast is better for the reasons you mention, but with a family your size you'll be happier in the larger (usually) condos on the Kohala Coast that have more places for kids to run and play. Very few Kona condos have nice grounds and pools, and that includes White Sands.

The end of March is unfortunately a transition month with regard to the ocean. The snorkeling in general was not good anywhere on the west and northwest coast for much of later March this year. Staying in the Kona area wouldn't have helped you any, it was just churned up everywhere. That has been true in early April too. But sometimes it's just fine. You'll have better odds in May for the best ocean conditions all along the Kona-Kohala Coast.

As far as condo choice goes, do read through the TQs on where to stay which cover many specific Kohala Coast complexes. I personally prefer the Mauna Lani complexes to Waikoloa Beach. The beach at Waikoloa Beach, Anaeho'omalu Bay, isn't a great beach and there's not very good snorkeling or swimming there. By contrast, the Mauna Lani has three beaches on property, two of which have very good snorkeling, and they're kid friendly.

You'll be able to find very nice complexes in the mod to upper 100s at both locations.

Edited: 10 April 2013, 05:17
Canada
Level Contributor
331 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kohala Coast condo recommendations

I highly recommend the Palm Villas condos at Mauna Lani.

Very family friendly, a very nice pool, reasonably priced and walking distance to everything.

Check VRBO.

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…

United States
Level Contributor
333 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kohala Coast condo recommendations

I"m staying in Palm Villas in a few weeks - i'll be able to report back. DRbergen, have you stayed there recently? would love to see pics.

4. Re: Kohala Coast condo recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2014, 05:17