We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mauna Lani pool renovations not close to done

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,607 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Mauna Lani pool renovations not close to done

Thursday I was at Mauna Lani helping decorate a charity tree, and met up with wahineokewaa (first time, awesome). We tried to get a peek at the pool renovation, but not easy due to all the fencing.

At the moment, you cannot get through to the beach on the south side of the hotel at all. One has to go out on the Canoe House side and walk around to the front. The whole pool area and big lawn area next to it is fenced off all the way to the parking lot.

It had been announced that they planned to put in a second pool with a slide feature in the grassy area, and it does look like they are doing that, because clearly they are building into the lawn, but I did not see a pool dug as yet. Thus this project cannot be anywhere close to finished.

The Bay Terrace directly abuts the fenced off area, so it must be impacted.

Although certainly one can get around and do the boardwalk to the cottage and on to Makaʻiwa Bay, and Canoe House area is serene, to me this project severely impacts the feel of the Mauna Lani while in progress. It is also quite close to Mauna Lani Terrace, but no loud work was being done while we were there, so cannot assess the noise impact on either property.

Please do not let this deter you from going to enjoy the Charity Tree display, which opened Friday, and voting for a charity or three. Access to the lobby is just as it ever was. The trees are in their usual spot in the upper lobby, immediately as you walk in the main entrance over the koi pond "bridge."

I am trying to recall now if the pool area bar is open or within the fenced area. I was kind of in shock seeing the changes. Wahine?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mauna Lani pool renovations not close to done

Wow! Sounds like they are way behind. This is concerning. We're booked for early February, hope this project is complete by then. I don't care about the pool, just don't want it to impact breakfast at the bay terrace or hanging out at the lagoon in front of the hotel.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,607 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mauna Lani pool renovations not close to done

I feel your concern! If you talk to the hotel, would you mind sharing what they say about estimated completion date?

I would also be curious to hear what they are doing about Bay Terrace right now. It has a lovely view of construction.

Edited: 08 December 2013, 20:47
Kona
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mauna Lani pool renovations not close to done

It appeared as though the entire area to the south of the main hotel building, all the way over to the waterway that separates the hotel from Mauna Lani Terrace, was closed in by a construction fence. There didn't appear to be any way to get close to the pool area, so I would say that the pool area bar is probably closed for now, although I can't say for sure from what we saw that day, KK.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,607 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mauna Lani pool renovations not close to done

Thanks wahine!

The pool bar was not right next to the pool. It is right at the edge of the sand by the lagoon. It used to be the lunch cafe and bar, but last year they stripped it down by removing the cafe and lattice roof and leaving only a bar. This improved the view plane for Bay Terrace towards the ocean.

They could have run the construction fence on the hotel side of the bar so as to leave the bar open to customers approaching from the beach, and I would have thought they would try as they already did work on the bar ... but I guess they didnʻt. Maybe the construction would be too close.

Iʻm not even sure you can still get to Bay Terrace from the outside. The walkway out the south side of the atrium dead ends now against construction fence after going over the little bridge. I canʻt remember if there is a way to turn left there, or how else if at all a guest can get into Bay Terrace.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,607 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mauna Lani pool renovations not close to done

Here is a pic from Bay Terrace lanai looking out (pre-construction).

maunalani.com/assets/…dining-bt-lanai.jpg

As you can see, the dining lanai is ground level. There is black opaque construction fencing all around the grass area now as wahine described. The walkway you see over by the pond is inside the fenced area. There is no path around that side of the construction area.

The website lists Bay Terrace as open.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,607 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mauna Lani pool renovations not close to done

Note: Clarification because I confused someone: this topic is only about Mauna Lani Bay hotel property, nothing to do with the larger Mauna Lani Resort. Weʻve been talking about this pool reno for a while, so I thought it would be clear enough. Sorry to cause anxiety.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,011 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mauna Lani pool renovations not close to done

I would expect them to be done in a month or two. I think they just miscalculated with regard to getting it done by the busy Winter Break season.

Redding, Connecticut
Level Contributor
56 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mauna Lani pool renovations not close to done

Thanks for the updates on the pool project. Shea G + KK when do you think the project will be completed? We have reservations at Mauna Lani the end of January + I'd rather not be there during the renovation period.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,607 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mauna Lani pool renovations not close to done

I think you should ask the hotel (and let us know?). :)

It was impossible to tell what was up looking over the fencing. It all looked chaotic, and there was no way to know what more was planned. As I said, I did not see an excavation for the additional pool that was rumored, but the area where the pool was to go was all blocked off.

Redding, Connecticut
Level Contributor
56 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mauna Lani pool renovations not close to done

KK - per your suggestion I talked to the hotel. They told me the pool is already done and there are just smaller, quieter details to be finished. However they said that the hot tub/Jacuzzi will not be finished till 2/15 or so. Considering what you saw on 12/7 I'm a bit skeptical. Any updates by TA people who have been or going to Mauna Lani would be appreciated.