We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visit!

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
First time visit!

I'm heading to the Kohala Coast for the first time in three weeks, really my first time to Hawaii. What are some 'must do' things that I don't want to miss?

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visit!

First..... don't freak out when you land at Kona airport! It looks like the moon with lava everywhere. Kohala is a strangely beautiful place. Lava, grass covered hills, cattle ranches, fantastic beaches, perfect weather so you will be happy once you settle in. There are never "must do" things IMO. We love the town of Kamuela (aka Waimea), Hawi, Parker ranch, the national botanical gardens, the place of refuge, Puukohala heiau, Waipio valley.... really the list goes on and on. What you have to do is be realistic with your plans base on how long you are on the island. Certain attractions are full day trips and require many miles of driving. I always suggest getting a good guide book and leaving plans to your whims. Too much running around takes away from the island's laid back feeling. Leave some stuff for another trip.... you will be back.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,117 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visit!

The Top Questions on the right hand side of the main Island of Hawaii forum (up one level) are very useful in terms of things to do, snorkeling, beaches, restaurants and other activities.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visit!

dada, funny, but good advice. It does get better. after the airport.

We stay in Kona. Always go to Place of Refuge. Wife likes Hapuna Beach for boogey boarding and swimming and it is a very nice beach. She likes to snorkel a Kahalu'u. I like Waimea, reminds me of a couple of cowboy towns I have lived in. Hawi nice little place to stroll. We enjoyed Na'alehu on way to volcano.

It is a long day to visit volcano from Kona. Even longer day to drive around island. Last time we took a 2 hour fixed wing flight from Kona and circled the island Very good. Helicopter flight over volcano very expensive. Helicopter flights from Hilo are less expensive. We flew over volcano and saw helicopters below us getting closer views

We have yet to spend a night in Hilo, but really think that is probably best place to stay to visit volcano. or maybe at volcano.

4. Re: First time visit!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Kohala Coast