We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kohala Resort Primer

Branchburg, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Kohala Resort Primer

The information here has been wonderful but I have been getting turned around by all the names that sound familiar. Can someone explain the condo/resort relationship to me? Do all the condos that are Mauna Lani (fairways, golf villa, palm villa) have access to the amenities of Mauna Lani resort? Is there a primer somewhere that tells you the difference between all the different condos? I've read a lot of posts so get the basic difference between Mauna Lani, Mauna Kea and Waikoloa. Any best bets for a family with young teens that wants to snorkel, boogie board and drive to all the sights? I'm amazed at what it looks like you can get for around $150/nt. We''l be there in mid Aug and would like a 2 bdrm. Need a kitchen and reasonably access to a supermarket. Restaurants aren't very important as we contend with food allergies. This will be our first and maybe only time in Hawaii.

California
Level Contributor
6,328 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kohala Resort Primer

Good question and I'm not sure of the answer but really the only two things Mauna Lani Resort offers that aren't open to the general public (at least for free) is the Beach Club parking area and the Fitness Center. I've stayed in both hotels and condo's in ML and some have had free entry into the fitness center and some haven't.

The only time I've had a gate pass to get into the Beach Club is while staying at Mauna Lani Point and The Villages at Mauna Lani. I think it all depends who your renting from, a property management company or a private party like VRBO. I don't think the hotels offer a pass into the Beach Club but you can easily still walk there from the hotel property. Who ever you rent from make sure you ask about whats included.

Edited: 14 May 2014, 17:06
Canada
Level Contributor
9,178 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kohala Resort Primer

The lay of the land on the Big Island can be a little tough to get....until that first visit.

I recall the mind boggling task of selecting accommodation for that very first trip to the Big Island. At that time Kailua-Kona was also being considered as a choice.

So......the South Kohala Resorts...

I shall speak to the two I am most familiar.

Waikoloa Beach Resort is the name of the area that contains 2 Hotels, numerous condo complexes, a few timeshare properties, 2 golf courses, 2 open air shopping "malls" that happen to contain the majority of Dining choices in addition to those at the Hotel.

The area is beautifully landscaped and features many walkways and pathways for guests to roam. There are historic petroglyphs, Anchialine ponds , and renown trails to view and explore.

The area sees many repeat guests as there is something for everyone, and offers accommodation for every pocketbook.

There is one beach within the Resort at Anaeho'omalu

Mauna Lani Resort is located just up the road (Hwy 19) from WBR ...about 3miles., and actually the northern development properties contained in WBR butt up against the southernmost ones at Mauna Lani resort.

"Mauna Lani Resort" is the name of the area that contains 2 Hotels, numerous condo complexes, private residences,also 2 golf courses and a shopping mall . One of the Hotels, Mauna Lani Bay Hotel is within the overall resort area.The other hotel within the resort is the Fairmont Orchid.

As is the case within WBR....Mauna Lani offers the visitor lots of wonderful areas of historic significance to explore....fish ponds , trails etc...

The beach at Makaiwa bay is a lovely spot to enjoy the ocean and a top beach access snorkelling spot. If you choose one of the Mauna Lani condos.......the coveted parking card key for the Beach club is included. If you choose not to stay at a ML condo.....you can still have access, however the walk from the Public lot is much longer.

As far as access to various amenities within ML.......if you are staying at Golf Villas , let's say......you would be able to use only their pool, not those of the other complexes, or Hotels.You could of course dine at either of the Hotels' restaurants.

The spa and workout facilities are a pay per use arrangement.

It is difficult to make a bad choice here. As mentioned there is accommodation for all budgets....with perhaps Waikoloa Beach Resort offering up more choice for the budget minded.

My detailed response is to hopefully provide clarification, as in your OP , I was not clear if by "Mauna Lani Resort"...you were referring to the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,315 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kohala Resort Primer

In addition to the good information in the replies, there are Top Questions on the right hand side of the main Island of Hawaii forum that cover Waikoloa Beach and the Mauna Lani and offer many topics on condo choice plus resort map links, etc.

The only condo complex at the Mauna Lani that offers access to the Mauna Lani hotel pool is the Terrace, but all of the complexes have their own pools. As mentioned the big draw at the Mauna Lani is the snorkeling at Makaiwa Bay, and condo renters there get the beach club parking pass while the public access lot is about a 3/4 mile walk away. Some Mauna Kea condos come with preferred parking to the beach there, Kauna'oa. This is a big draw for some because public access parking passes usually run out at this beach every day (there are a very limited number of them) by 9am.

The Mauna Lani, Mauna Kea and Waikoloa Beach are all within about ten minutes from each other so there's no real advantage to one over the other in terms of location, or access to beaches and sites outside of the specific resort areas. Both Waikoloa Beach and the Mauna Lani have grocery stores, restaurants and shops. Waikoloa Beach has a lot more shopping in its two outdoor malls.

For me aside from the access issues, the main difference between Waikoloa Beach and the Mauna Lani is the overall feel. Waikoloa Beach is busier and more developed while the Mauna Lani and Mauna Kea are lower density, spread out, and have maintained a lot of natural features and native vegetation like the ancient Kalahuipua'a fishponds at the Mauna Lani. With kids, people often prefer Waikoloa Beach because there's more activity at the shopping malls and various condo pools. So it depends on what you're looking for.

The Halii Kai and Kings Land are my favorite choices within Waikoloa Beach, but you'll pay in the low $200s generally. At the Mauna Lani, I like the Palm Villas and Mauna Lani Point.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,315 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kohala Resort Primer

I think this link is in the TQ, but this is a very good overview of the Mauna Lani condo options. Some of the info is out of date or not relevant to vacation renters with regard to builder lawsuits, etc but the descriptions of the condos are excellent.

hawaiilife.com/articles/…

Branchburg, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kohala Resort Primer

Thanks for those links and other info. I did look at the top questions but missed the "All about the --- resort". Oops. I am leaning towards Mauna Lani Fairways. I think I can make that in the budget. The one thing that surprised me was that in the second bedroom of almost all of the condos, there was a king or queen bed. That wouldn't work for my 2 kids. I did find a few with 2 twins. Thanks again.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,023 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kohala Resort Primer

I think you'll really like the Fairways ... we stayed there last year in the spring and really enjoyed it!

Edited: 16 May 2014, 04:50
Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kohala Resort Primer

The Fairways is lovely.

Kamuela
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kohala Resort Primer

As a representative for South Kohala Management, we represent over 40 vacation rentals in the Mauna Lani Resort and I am very familiar with the most current access policies. Here is a break-down:

-The Sports and Fitness Center (gym, lap pool, tennis courts and locker rooms) is free for guests of the MLB Hotel but for a guest of any private property or condominium, there is a daily charge of about $35/person (family and special rates available). They have great group exercise classes for a fee so you can also pay and attend a fitness class without having to pay the daily fee (although you cannot use the showers or other facilities after the class).

-The Mauna Lani Beach Club should be accessible to any guest staying on the resort whether in a hotel or vacation rental. If you rent through a management company like ours you will be provided an access card upon check-in for access to the gated parking lot. If you rent with a private owner on VRBO for example, you should ask if the access card is provided. Every property owner of the resort receives the access card, however, not every owner makes it available to their rental guests (hefty fees to replace if lost). South Kohala Management makes it accessible to every guest of one our Mauna Lani properties.

-All of the condominium complexes have a private amenity center for guests of that property (facilities vary). Each condo complex has a private gate code as well as either a key, card or pin-protected gate to the amenity center so that it remains private to guests of that property.

***A note on access to hotel facilities. Unlike the Caribbean or other tropical vacation destinations, the hotel facilities are relatively open and welcoming to the public (non-hotel guests) to roam and enjoy the grounds. Valet parking is free (aside from tipping) at almost all of the hotels, except the Hilton Waikoloa, and you are free to patronize the restaurants, bars and shops within the hotels. In Hawaii, the ocean and sand can not be owned by anybody so you may also walk the hotel-front beaches and take a dip, just bring your own towel. The things you cannot do if you are not a guest of the hotel is to use the pool, beach towels and lounge chairs (restaurant reservations are restricted for non-hotel guests during high occupancy). Aside from that, I would highly recommend that you check out some of the beautiful hotels on the coast. Enjoy a sun set cocktail at the beachfront bar, take a dip in the ocean, enjoy the live music or entertainment in the lobby and dine at the exclusive restaurants within the hotels. If you are ever approached or asked by hotel staff if you are a guest I recommend that you tell the truth. Tell them that you are staying at _____ property but you are scouting the hotel for consideration for a future stay. An honest answer will often be met with a lot of Aloha.

The same principles apply to the other resorts but it would be too lengthy to describe each and every one. We also provide the same detailed information for the Waikoloa and Mauna Kea Resorts on our website www.southkohala.com.

I hope you enjoy your stay on the Kohala Coast and take advantage of all the beautiful resort sights to see!

9. Re: Kohala Resort Primer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Kohala Coast