We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping for clothes

Australia
Level Contributor
393 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping for clothes

We are staying 6 nights on the kohala coast in January after 3 weeks NW Mainland US and snowboarding in Canada. We will have winter and snowboarding gear with us, so will be packing extremely lightly (if at all) for summer clothes for Hawaii.

I realise island of Hawaii is not a shopping Mecca but where do locals or even tourists shop for clothes? I would probably be after a couple of summery tops and shorts, summer dresses and maybe swimwear (for a mid 30s female) and board shorts, tank tops for my partner.

Not Hawaiian shirts or touristy souviner clothes, but clothes we would wear back home (given it will be summer at home).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,291 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping for clothes

Tommy Bahamas at the Mauna Lani is nice and I shop there. Not cheap but very high quality. There are also several surf shops and clothing stores in the two shopping malls at Waikoloa Beach - Queens Marketplace and Kings Shops. Pretty affordable, especially Queens Marketplace.

Australia
Level Contributor
393 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping for clothes

ThAnks Shea, sounds exactly what I'll be after!

Canada
Level Contributor
9,176 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping for clothes

There is a Macy's in Kailua-Kona for a good cross range of choices and pricing.

There is also a "Ross Dress for Less" too which can be hit or miss for what you can find, but the stock changes frequently.......and you may be surprised with what you discover.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping for clothes

Noa Noa has great batik.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,550 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping for clothes

For affordable, non-boutique, I would go to Macy's and shop sales. If you go to www.macys.com and sign up for texted promos, they will send you a 15% coupon you can apply on top of sales and clearance.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,550 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping for clothes

Also if you want less expensive clothes, besides Ross, both K-mart and Target provide your basic type clothes that are nothing fancy, not made as well as some others but cost much less. I find that Macy's is very price competitive if you stick to sales prices. Their full price is ridiculous and I would never pay it, but their sales offer large discounts.

Edited: 17 August 2014, 16:13
Canada
Level Contributor
9,176 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping for clothes

Macy's also has a 10% discount card on all purchases for "International" shoppers. It is good for 30 days after signup.

www1.macys.com/store/about/visitor/index.jsp

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,291 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping for clothes

My problem with Macy's in Kailua Kona is it really doesn't seem to have a good 30s-40s female selection. There's juniors and then kind of frumpy and/or 50+ feeling and nothing much in between. But it's worth checking out. I honestly do the vast majority of my shopping online but TBs fills the gap, especially for swimwear and summer dresses.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,550 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping for clothes

That's true. Macy's used to be much better. I blame the buyers. The Macy's in Ala Moana was much better last time I checked.

There was a small resort wear oriented Macy's in Kings Shops Waikoloa (or was), have not been there in a long time and it might be gone.

Macy's only allows one discount coupon to be applied to any one purchase. It is nice there is a 10% that works at all times. Some bigger discount promos are on sale and clearance only.

IF there is anything good on the clearance rack, it is often clearance Mark down PLUS 70% off of that PLUS 20% off of that with digital coupon.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping for clothes

Me personally I am a huge fan of the clothes you can find in the ABC stores.

Just this week, I have been wearing a hoodie which I bought in Kona for our trip up to Mauna Kea.. but it is super cold here at the moment.

The ABC stores have a great range of Hawaii themed t-shirts and they had some lovely dresses last time I was there. :)

Yay I got the website to load finally - this is my favourite tee, I have soo many of them in all the colours..

www.abcstores.com/browse.cfm/4,1941.html

Edited: 17 August 2014, 23:15