We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Austrian Grand Prix 2014

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Austrian Grand Prix 2014

Since the Airport serving Spielberg is over 100 miles away, is there a city/town somewhere in between from which one can catch a train on race day or is it better to stay in Vienna and just catch a train from there ? if the latter is the best option is there a direct line and how long is the journey time wise ?.

14 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,366 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Austrian Grand Prix 2014

I would imagine that special busses / trains will be provided to take the thousands to the ring.

Vadnais Heights...
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Austrian Grand Prix 2014

Make sure you have the F1 tickets in hand before worrying about commuting and reservations. The F1 is internationally oriented and more so very financial that can pull strings in many areas.They even take a 30 period off in the summer (prime European season) for development and research, since other countries offer bigger markets at other times of the the year.The thousand a press and media people can easily take a huge bite out of available facilities within hours of the race site.

I went to the first U.S. F1 in 1999 or so and had tickets in hand and had to stay between Detroit and Fort Wayne, IN, despite the long history of Indianapolis dealing with large crowds of 200,000. I found a close parking spot through a friend about 1/2 mile away and had to be there about 4 hours before the race and could not even think of getting into my car until 6 hours after the race.

Every city is unique regarding travel and lodging and a new location in Austria might be easier than some existing ones if you are flexible. - Just a partial reason why every F1 race is seen by an estimated 1 billion people internationally on TV alone.

Just a bit of perspective on what you might be facing when the race occurs.

Dick

Edited: 24 September 2013, 00:12
Wolfsberg, Austria
Level Contributor
3 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Austrian Grand Prix 2014

I'll be driving to Spielberg everyday (I live in Austria) - so maybe car-hire could be a good choice. That way, you have so much more freedom where you stay. Spielberg is about an hour's drive from Graz, Wolfsberg, St Veit, Klagenfurt. There are some stunning places to visit in addition to watching the F1! It is truly a wonderful location - hence why I recommend a car. Spielberg isn't a big capacity venue, so get hold of tickets first. From what I'm hearing, there will be a lot more accommodation nearby made available and transport will be available to/from the track. I suspect there will be hotel packages offered officially once the dates/tickets are confirmed. I also suspect that there will be lots of transport choices from the major towns/cities listed above. When Austria hosted the Euro football, all the transportation was ramped up. I expect the same again.

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,392 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Austrian Grand Prix 2014

Stay in Graz - has direct flights from Stanstead. There will be train and bus links.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Austrian Grand Prix 2014

Formula 1 has recently announced the 2014 schedule. The Austrian race will be June 22.

When races were held years ago, a convenient bus service left Vienna - close by the State Opera and took fans directly to the race track.

No changes needed and the bus was comfortable. Special bus parking made walking easy to the entrance-

I used this service numerous times.

I assume this transfer would be available for this race.

It was not expensive and certainly convenient.

I try to remember bus service name and post it here.

C P
Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Austrian Grand Prix 2014

Hi,

I know it's sold out, but wondered if anyone thinks there is a chance of more tickets becoming available...anywhere!,

Thanks

7. Re: Austrian Grand Prix 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 April 2014, 16:05

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,366 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Austrian Grand Prix 2014

you really should not be advertising!

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Austrian Grand Prix 2014

Several places to look

the bus firm Blaguss in Vienna runs a shuttle service from Vienna to the Formula 1 track.

The price includes a race ticket and transfer to / from

Last time I heard they still had a few tickets.

www.blaguss.at

I have taken this bus and very comfortable - they stop close ton the entrance ( at least before)

also check the official website of Formula 1

www.formula1.com

Due to the great interest in the race Red Bull applied for permission for added ticket sasles.

I do not believe the issue decided yet- hopefully it works.

Several agencies in Vienna for sure have tickets available - with a big premium of course.

Ohrid, Republic of...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Austrian Grand Prix 2014

have a chance to find ticket for general admission

Reply to: Austrian Grand Prix 2014
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Spielberg