We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to battle the flies?

Montrose, PA
Level Contributor
271 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
How to battle the flies?

Morning,

Second day in a row that the flies are terrible and keeping us off the beach.. Any suggestions on how to combat them?

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,756 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to battle the flies?

Black or green flies? IMO none what so ever. We tried Off one year which only seemed to attract them. There was even a sign at the entrance to IBSP - "Flies! (No Refunds)" How long can you stay up to your neck in the water?

Pjk

Edited: 04 September 2013, 15:34
Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
14,298 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to battle the flies?

There is a repellant named 'GreenHead' that works well. http://www.greenheadfly.com/Greenhead.html The issue is, as with any bug repellant, once you go in the water, it rinses off, and both the black & greenheads seem to LOVE legs that are still wet from just getting out. BTW, look at the brightside. Things could be worse, you could be in Brigantine ~ excerpt from the above link: 'Most Green Head Flies: Brigantine, NJ, USA'

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to battle the flies?

Most often the flies are related to direction of the breeze I.e most people feel a bay breeze brings green heads. Beach Haven isn't known as an ongoing problem area so usually once the wind shifts, the problem is gone. Some folks swear by Skin So Soft, but I usually use Off. I bought some of the Greenhead repellant recommended above, but didn't have a need for it all summer.

I have also purchased little clip things (from Off I think) to put on my chair, but truthfully, never used it.

Citronella candles on deck or in yard are helpful.

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
14,298 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to battle the flies?

I found SkinSoSoft just OK for greenheads and it didn't work at all for the black ones. But I tried it as it's not supposed to rinse off in water as easily.

If Zephyrus would stop the Westward winds you may not need any bug repellant

Phillipsburg, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to battle the flies?

I was in Beach Haven yesterday and today. The flies were bad. Yesterday, I saw a man leaving the beach and the flies were swarming around him. He was trying to hit them with his shirt but they were all over his legs. Winds were light and out of the west which brings the flies from the marshlands. Drove most people off the beach.

Montrose, PA
Level Contributor
271 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to battle the flies?

A couple stopped us on the beach yday and told us that they use a combo of half skin so soft and Listerine original, put it in a spray bottle and spray it on their body and it keeps the flies off. We used it and it worked great. We had to reapply occasionally, especially our feet and ankles.

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
14,298 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to battle the flies?

Thanks for the update. While I was not pleased with SkinSoSoft results, I will try this mixture. I do have a Q: Was it Listerine Original flavor or perhaps Mint flavor?

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
14,298 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to battle the flies?

And now that I reread it >>and Listerine original<< oopsie, I made another error

edit: I just shared your posted recipe on the OCMD forum tripadvisor.com/…52651807

Edited: 06 September 2013, 17:42
Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
29 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to battle the flies?

West winds bring in the flies. The best thing for greenheads and black flies is Skin so soft. Green can. Flies can ruin the day at the beach or on the boat in the bay.

10. Re: How to battle the flies?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2015, 15:15
Get answers to your questions about Long Beach Island
Recent Conversations