We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Crush Coaster too scarey for a 5 year old?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Crush Coaster too scarey for a 5 year old?

We're going on 23rd March for my 7 yr olds birthday surprise trip and i can't wait - and im finding it really hard to keep it a secret from them both.

Wanted to go on the Crush Coaster but im not sure if my 5 year old will find it scary ? also i didn't want him to feel 'left out' if me/dad/7 yr old went on in (with parent swop.)

I need to measure him! im sure he is 107cm or over.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
2,814 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Crush Coaster too scarey for a 5 year old?

hi there

our dd1 will be 5 when we return in june

we went on this alone with baby switch last year it was a good ride. most of it is in the dark, (but looks as though your under the sea with sea creatures etc) our daughter doesnt really like dark rides so i think it would just depend on what type of things your child likes or not

if one parent rides it first you can see whether you think its suitable.

whilst i went on cc my husband took girls on flying carpets and when hubbys turn i took girls on a differnt ride. if you decide unsuitable there are so many rides and thngs to do i dont think he would feel left out. let him chose a ride whilst other parent takes older child on cc

hope your family have a lovely trip :)

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
53,517 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Crush Coaster too scarey for a 5 year old?

Hi,

I agree with ILMB's advice. If in doubt it is a good idea to ask the CM at the ride entrance to do Babyswitch / Childswop. One parent can ride first, and if suitable for the child they can get straight on with the other parent.

The ride begins with a very short coaster section then goes through a slower Nemo themed section before climbing upwards to begin the coaster section in the dark. This is spinning / turning / swooping as if being in a water current, but does not go upside down.

You sit in a turtle shell car, with 4 people back to back, and a lap restraint with a handle to hold. No shoulder harness. The seats are quite small and when the restraint was pulled down, my hubby who is quite slim found it a rather tight fit.

This is the first short outdoor section - the little kiddie in the seat is not very big!

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157627866958763

Watch this video although the coaster bit is just black, you can't see anything.

www.roller-coaster-videos.com/crushs-coaster/

It is a very popular ride, and has the longest queue all day, as most kids seem to love it. The description of the ride on the DLP TV chanel in the Disney hotels rooms is very misleading, and suggests that Crush is a gentle ride, which it certainly is not.

This is the official Disney video - totally misleading!!! It does show the first section quite well, but the coaster section in the dark is not shown accurately at all. You are not turning calmly in bubbles like the family in the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3fxYdAabJw

This video shows the indoor coaster section with the lights on when it broke down, so you can see the track.

www.youtube.com/watch…

Edited: 14 March 2012, 19:27
New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,517 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Crush Coaster too scarey for a 5 year old?

This video shows the making of Crush's Coaster, with some great video of testing the turtle cars on the indoor track.

www.youtube.com/watch…

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,517 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Crush Coaster too scarey for a 5 year old?

You can't really go by the ages of children when it comes to liking rides or not - some young ones are less scared than their older siblings or parents!

It depends on the individual.

LONDON
Level Contributor
146 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Crush Coaster too scarey for a 5 year old?

I took my 5yr old on the tower of terror!!!!

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,517 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Crush Coaster too scarey for a 5 year old?

Just adding this description of Crush's Coaster, which was originally going to be called Crush's Turtle Twister.

dlrpmagic.com/guidebook/…

The ride lasts for 2 mins 20 seconds.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,517 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the Crush Coaster too scarey for a 5 year old?

Although when you board the ride two people are facing forwards and two backwards, this does not mean you will be facing the same way throughout the ride. The shell spins in the very first outdoor section, which is very short, so you could then be facing the other way for the next part, and for the climb up to the coaster section. It is quite a long high climb, so a bit scary if you end up facing downwards! You do get a better view of things like the hanging jellyfish if you are facing backwards though.

When you reach the top of the climb, the coaster section begins, which is very dark. If anyone has been on a ride like Spinball Wizard in Alton Towers, this is the same type of coaster, but not outdoor. You are constantly turning, so can be facing forwards, backwards or sideways. You can see lit up bubbles, but not much else during this section, as you can tell by the video in the link in post # 2.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,517 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the Crush Coaster too scarey for a 5 year old?

See this video of Sonic Spinball in Alton Towers - it is a bit more extreme I think, and a bit faster, but imagine this ride indoors in the dark to give you an idea of Crush's coaster section.

www.youtube.com/watch…

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,517 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the Crush Coaster too scarey for a 5 year old?

And yes - Crush does have that big loop where you go up and down again!!

I find Sonic Spinball a bit too scary for my liking, as being outdoor you can see how high you are.

You can't see this in Crush, and I love it!

Edited: 16 March 2012, 00:42
New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,517 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the Crush Coaster too scarey for a 5 year old?

Twilight Zone Tower Of Terror ride mentioned by Brownies has the same minimum height requirement as Big Thunder Mountain - 1.02m - which is lower than Crush's Coaster.

Edited: 16 March 2012, 00:47