We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Disneyland Paris Vs. Walt Disney World Orlando?

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Disneyland Paris Vs. Walt Disney World Orlando?

I a weeks time we are booking our Christmas trip to either Orlando or Paris but can't decide which one to go to. My fiance only gets 11 days off work at Christmas and 14 in the summer so we get very little vacation time and really want this Christmas to be special. Both Disneyland and Walt Disney World have their pros and cons from us but they're about tied. If anyone has been to either Disney park for Christmas, which does it better? Our available travel dates are 23rd Dec-2nd Jan.

Pro's for Paris:

* Shorter flight. - it only takes 2 hours approx to get to Paris where as Orlando it would take up 2-3 flights to get there, 12 hours of flight time and 18 hours travel time in total (we fly from Newcastle, UK).

* Cheaper flight - A flight to Paris costs £195pp where as the ones to Orlando come to a total of £1130pp.

* Cheaper overall cost - Since the flights are significantly cheaper that impacts on the holiday's total cost. If we go to Paris, our stay will be spent with the first 3 nights at the Disneyland Hotel, and the rest of our stay (until 1st Jan) as the Sequoia Lodge. If we go to Orlando we'd spend our first 5 nights at Disney's Wilderness Lodge and the rest of our stay (1st or 2nd Jan) at Pop Century.

* The hotel - every visit I've had to Disneyland Paris I've wished to stay in the Hotel overlooking the main park, now I have the chance to for 3 nights at Christmas.

* We can use our EHIC cards if one of us should be ill (I'm epileptic and emetophobic), also cheaper insurance.

* We won't be rushed for time at Paris as there are only two parks. Orlando has 4 parks + water parks + universal.

* I've also been told that the crowds are smaller in Paris. Magic Kingdom at Orlando usually reaches full capacity multiple times during the christmas/newyears season forcing the park to close to guests until the crowds die down. Disneyland Paris I'd be able to leave and reenter the park without worrying I'd not get back in.

* We are more familiar with Paris as we've had more visits there.

* You have to add VAT to merchandise and food you purchase in Orlando.

* Not enough time for Orlando - Our last visit consisted of 14 and I'd say that wasn't enough time to do everything we wanted and that wasn't without the Christmas Season Crowds, I'd fear we wouldn't get much done in 10 days, and there's no use park hopping as there is the risk of not getting in the park with high crowd levels.

Orlando pros:

* The weather is a lot nicer, Paris is freezing in December.

* There are 4 parks + water parks + universal, in Paris we may get bored of only two parks.

* The cast members are friendlier and all speak English. We've had a few rude encounters at both Paris and Orlando but more in Paris. The americans go out of their way to make sure that your stay is as magical as it can be, the french have no enthusiasm and have been quite rude. We visited Paris in July and we sat on the curb infront of the castle for an hour before the parade started to ensure we got a good view, but as soon as it started a French woman pushed her children to the front and stuck her iPad in front of my face to take photos, I was furious be kept my mouth shut. Then I got patted on the shoulder but a woman shouting at me in French, I told her I only speak English, and she shouted "You sit now, we can't see" and repeated this over and over until I sat down, then I got wrong off the cast members for having my feet on the road, but there was no room for me to put them anywhere else, everyone kept pushing forward. So I stood back up and received the same treatment again, so I turned around and said "I'm sorry but there's no room for me to sit down, I've waited here 1 hour for this parade and you just got here. If you can't see find somewhere else to stand." My fiance then sat in the most uncomfortable position the entire parade so that she could see. Hopefully the Christmas cheer would make them a little less rude in December.

* Rides always break down in Paris. - In July we were there for only 2 days and in those two days the following rides broke down while we were queuing or had a fastpass: Crushes coaster this was our first ride of the visit (broke down for 1 hour while we were in the queue about to ride after 45 minutes of already queuing), Rock 'n' Rollercoaster, our second ride of the day with a fast pass (broke down for 30 minutes), Big Thunder Mountain (we left the queue before finding out how long), Indiana Jones broke down twice but we weren't queuing at the time, and Buzz's Laser Blast. There may have been more.

* Orlando has nicer food and drinks, Butterbeer from Universal, LeFou's Brew from Magic Kingdom, Corndogs, Dole Whip. Paris has nothing like that.

* Towel animals in Disney hotels, the cast members go to extreme lengths to ensure a magical stay even with just simple touches.

* Better rides, Orlando has Universal and Disney and we would intend to visit both.

* Animal Kingdom - When we get bored of the rides there's always animals to visit.

* Pools - Even though the hotels in Paris have indoor pools, the outdoor pools in Orlando are more exciting.

These are just pros/cons from our own experiences. We've never been to either at Christmas and need a little help deciding where to go. Any advice will be much appreciated!

Thank you.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Disneyland Paris Vs. Walt Disney World Orlando?

With such a well considered list I don't think there is much anyone can add - just wanted to say good luck choosing, that is quiet a dilemma to have!!

Warwickshire
Level Contributor
267 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Disneyland Paris Vs. Walt Disney World Orlando?

Hi

I have been to both Paris and Orlando at Xmas several times if my budget was big enough for Orlando I wouldn't have to think twice it would be Orlando

We have always gone to MGM on Xmas day and never had a problem getting in IMO its a good one to do,far less crowds

We have also got into magic kingdom if we went early but your right about the crowds

Good luck with your desision wish I was in your place lol I'm staying at Boeing home!!

Ann

Warwickshire
Level Contributor
267 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Disneyland Paris Vs. Walt Disney World Orlando?

Boreing I meant sorry cant spell lol

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,569 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Disneyland Paris Vs. Walt Disney World Orlando?

Orlando will probably have better weather, and you could also visit the Harry Potter theme park.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Disneyland Paris Vs. Walt Disney World Orlando?

As much as i want to go to florida, you can't beat christmas in paris, i think the cold adds to the christmassy feel, an plus the disneyland hotel, nuff said!

Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
6,552 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in Disneyland Paris Vs. Walt Disney World Orlando?

No jet lag if you go to Paris.

uk
Level Contributor
834 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas in Disneyland Paris Vs. Walt Disney World Orlando?

Ooh decisions , both I think will be so magical. ,

I have been to Florida at Xmas and it was just so so magical, even my father inlaw was besotted with the whole thing and he is so not into stuff like that , but it was like it took him back to his childhood. I remember walking around in shorts with the artificial snow fluttering . Amazing and emotional in a beautiful way.

I think I would go for Orlando if money allows , dunkin doughnuts and the amazing breakfasts win me over every time xxxx

Kildare, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas in Disneyland Paris Vs. Walt Disney World Orlando?

it wouldnt feel christmassy in the heat !! well thats my opinion anyways:) Good luck choosing

9. Re: Christmas in Disneyland Paris Vs. Walt Disney World Orlando?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 06:19