We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR 13th-17th October. Nothing spoiled our Disney Magic..!

glasgow
Level Contributor
671 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
TR 13th-17th October. Nothing spoiled our Disney Magic..!

Hi everyone, thanks to all your amazing help, and tips, we're just back from our best ever Disney holiday.

We stayed at Sequoia Lodge, Golden Forest (LOVED IT) and NOTHING spoiled our magic...not thunderstorms, not a six hour power cut, not even an escaped bison (honestly)

As we'd booked the Eurostar we took the train from Glasgow the day before (best rate for that night was Radisson Blu Grafton on Tottenham Court Rd, and it was great hotel, minutes from Euston and St Pancras)

Only disappointment that day was the removal of Aurinko's thread re. Sequia Lodge. I'd been really looking forward to reading about their trip while we were on the train.

Anyway....

Sun 13th October:

Eurostar, with Disney Express luggage service, yet again proved to be the best way to travel. So stress free. We had so much luggage, as weather was unpredictable, we were prepared for warm, cold and wet (Just as well , as it turned out!) and it was so good not to be worrying about luggage allowances.

So, dropped bags at the desk, then strolled into the Park.

It took our breath away. We'd been SO excited reading about all the Hallowe'en plans, and looking at all the photos on TA, but nothing did it justice. I was actually nearly in (happy) tears when we saw Main Street.

And, Disney did its magic immediately. My wee boy, who is 8, and not always the most open with his emotions, was jumping up and down, shouting "we're back in Disney!" ; it's very special to see him displaying such excitement.

Then, and this is even more amazing, my DH, totally unprompted by me, said "Wow, can you imagine how incredible this place must look at Christmas?" And started asking if we'd ever be able to come in December. Oh my goodness!!! (It's hard for us to ever get time off work near Christmas... But then again, next year is our 15th Wedding Anniversary on 11th Dec...that's a good reason to go, isn't it...?!)

So, from the word go, our trip was truly magical for us all. We wandered round Main Street; it was all quite busy, but we got on Buzz Lightyear ride, Peter Pan and used hotel Fastpass for Star Tours.

Then we had dinner booked for Walt's at 4.30, asked for a window table, and had a perfect view of the parade. The meal was wonderful, staff lovely.

We'd been planning to stay in the Park right through until Dreams, but we were tired, and tbh, desperate to see the Golden Forest rooms, so went to SL.

A bit apprehensive, but we all loved the rooms. Love SL anyway, but our room was perfect, with a lake view. Check in was easy with the GF desk; no queue, and again we found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

After we'd got organised, and feeling SO pleased with our lovely room, we went back to the park, and again just took our time. We went on a few more rides, just enjoyed how beautiful it all looked, and soaking up the atmosphere.

The only thing that was getting on my nerves was the amount of people smoking, it seems worse then ever.

I got a spot for Dreams, while DH and DS went off to go on Buzz again, and I was surrounded by rude people blowing smoke in my face; and it carried on the whole holiday. I wish they'd do something about it.

Dreams was as spellbinding as ever, and it made me cry, again!!

Wandered back to SL, had Glowtinis in the GF lounge (a great Forum tip, thank you!) then fell into our comfortable beds ready for an early rise for Monday's EMH.

Will get next part written up when I get a chance!

Mentioned in this post
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
9,869 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR 13th-17th October. Nothing spoiled our Disney Magic..!

Lovely first day, can't wait for more! And of course you have to go for your wedding anniversary!

Edited: 19 October 2013, 20:05
Loughborough...
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR 13th-17th October. Nothing spoiled our Disney Magic..!

Great first day, Can't wait for the rest :)

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
23,307 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR 13th-17th October. Nothing spoiled our Disney Magic..!

Sounds like a perfect start - especially the glowtini! An anniversary trip sounds like an excellent idea :+)

Looking forward to more x

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
934 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: TR 13th-17th October. Nothing spoiled our Disney Magic..!

Loving it! Can't wait for more

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: TR 13th-17th October. Nothing spoiled our Disney Magic..!

What a fab start, can't wait to hear more. Thanks for reminding me about the cocktails in the GF tip, that will be me in 60 days!!

Xxx

South East England...
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR 13th-17th October. Nothing spoiled our Disney Magic..!

oooh yippee, love a GF tr! Sounds like a fab start to your trip

glasgow
Level Contributor
671 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR 13th-17th October. Nothing spoiled our Disney Magic..!

Monday 14th October:

After a great sleep we somehow managed to be down for breakfast at 7.20.

I can't believe that some reviews complain of uncomfortable beds; maybe we were just lucky. Or maybe we were just very tired!

Equally mysterious are complaints about the breakfasts at SL. You know in advance that it will be continental; and we all thought the choice was great. Absolutely love the new breakfast room, and at that time in the morning it was quiet.

The first time we ever went to DLP, I was amazed by how much I loved it; and every trip I find new things to love. This time, I was taken by surprise by how special it was to have characters at breakfast.

My DS is a bit shy of characters, and so it wasn't a big plus for us (or so we thought!!)

Actually, DS really enjoyed meeting them ( in an eight year old boy way!) I just couldn't get over what a special start it was to our day. It really added something extra; there was a special atmosphere in the room; and it was a calm way to meet them. No horrible pushing and shoving. Today we met Goofy and Mickey!

Off to the Park for EMH; peaceful and quiet; walked on to Peter Pan several times, also Buzz, the Teacups and the Carousel. We went on Snow White at 10.00 am, and then went through for our first visit to Adventureland. DS desperate to go on POTC, but it was shut. So we went to the Pirate playground; shut for maintenance (but it hadn't been listed on their closures in advance) Tried another of our favourites; Swiss Family Robinson; shut. Tried not to be too disappointed; but effectively the whole of Adventureland was shut. Went through to Frontierland; which looked utterly amazing with all the Hallowe'en/ Harvest decorations; we went to Phantom Manor; SHUT!

OK, by now I was really annoyed, so marched to City Hall, where a lovely CM was totally apologetic and gave us three passes to rides of our choice to make amends.

We went to Cafe Fantasia for Mickey Waffles and Tinkerbell cappuccinos, even though it was only 11.30. (Another great tip from this Forum!) Hadn't planned to go then at all, but wanted to do something nice after all the ride closures; wanted wifi, and wanted to plan our day with our new passes.

We had a pass for Studio Tram Tour, so off to the Studios.

Turns out this was also the trip where I learned to love the Studios! I finally "got" it! I think it has always been so horribly busy whenever we've been previously that it's put me off it a bit.

Today it was lovely!

We walked on to Slinky Dog, and the Cars Race Rally, no queue at either ride. Previously the Cars ride has always been 60, or 90 mins. Then we used the pass for the Tram Tour, as it was a 60 minute wait. Wow!

We all loved it!

A wee trip back to SL then, for bit of a rest. We had the afternoon tea (yummy!) then did POTC, and Phantom Manor. Park was looking beautiful with all the lights lit up; most rides were walk ons. Perfect.

Just as we found a good spot for Dreams, the heavens opened. We're used to rain in Scotland; and we had waterproofs and umbrellas, but this was torrential. Decided to skip Dreams, and head for our dinner reservation at Hunter's Grill. Walked back through thunder and lightning; we were like drowned rats! The pavements were all flooded, we were soaked to the skin.

What a relief to get to SL, get changed and get to dinner.

Once again we were impressed with Hunter's Grill. There gave been so many negative comments about it, but I think we are quite fussy about food, and I can't fault it.

It was busy (the whole hotel was really busy; weird as the parks were quite quiet) but staff couldn't have been nicer.

Time for a quick drink in GF lounge before bed. I usually love the bar at SL, and thought we may not want to use GF lounge. Actually, the bar was mobbed, with no spare seats, and it was wonderful to retreat to GF lounge with cheerful staff bringing drinks to your table.

Completely, happily, shattered again, so collapsed into bed once more! Room was full of dripping wet clothes and shoes after the storm. Took days to dry it all out. Thank goodness I'd packed so much stuff! Plenty dry stuff!

Will update about the power shut down, and escaped bison, next!

Edited: 20 October 2013, 00:19
Mentioned in this post
Cafe Mickey
Cafe Mickey
5,475 Reviews
Marne-la-Vallee, France
Cafe Fantasia
Cafe Fantasia
139 Reviews
Marne-la-Vallee, France
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
54,200 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TR 13th-17th October. Nothing spoiled our Disney Magic..!

Glad to hear you enjoyed Walts and hunters grill and managed to get a window table to watch the parade go by. Sounds like you had a lovely time despite the torrential downpour. Looking forward to your next instalment!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TR 13th-17th October. Nothing spoiled our Disney Magic..!

Escaped Bison!!!!

Was it on the menu at Hunters Grill?

Mentioned in this post
Hunters Grill
Hunters Grill
1,141 Reviews
Marne-la-Vallee, France
Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
934 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: TR 13th-17th October. Nothing spoiled our Disney Magic..!

Really enjoying this TR!