We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to DLP - so stressful..

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
First Time to DLP - so stressful..

Hi there.

So as you can gather from the title, I'm going to DLP for the first time. I'm taking my partner as a treat and she is over the moon, which leaves me with all the stress of planning it lol.

I'm planning on going on the 10th Jan to 13th Jan, and I've been quoted direct through the Disney website, for a stay in Hotel Cheyenne with park tickets and flights (to CDG) and transfer via coach to and from, is £803. Does this sound okay?

Now these are the questions that are really bugging me..

- I fly from Manchester and I can get a 6am flight if I wish on the 10th, but what time will check in be? Is it 3/4pm? Or would I be able to check in as I arrive and go straight onto the park. If not I can get a later flight.

- the coach that will transfer us, takes roughly 40mins I believe, and it's £64.. Is it worth getting the train which takes 11mins, how much would that be do you reckon? Any experiences?

- I want to go to Paris, to have the cliche Eiffel Tower photo lol, and visit Jim Morrison's grave. Am I going to have any chance to do this? Or am I going to be trapped on the park lol.

- (RE the quote above) do people tend to book through Disney or can I get a better deal elsewhere, the Disney hotel isn't a must in her eyes, so any hotel is possible, within suitable distance.

- Would you honestly pay for half/full board? Or just live off McDonalds for 4 days?

- and is there any local shops, around the park? Non Disney, I refuse to pay £5 for water etc lol.

Thank you so much.

x

Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
6,473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time to DLP - so stressful..

Try booking seperately,often works out cheaper.

You can check in as early as you want,you may not get your room, but you will get park tickets.

TGV is possibly the worst choice for a transfer, look at the TQs at right for a lot of info on transfers.

Getting into Paris is very easy, the station is next to the park entrance.

Check hotel prices in Val de Europe, usually cheaper, but check ticket prices before making a final decision .

There are shops in the station with cheaper prices for water etc.

If you are planning a day in Paris, I don't think I would bother with half board.

St Andrews, United...
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time to DLP - so stressful..

The price isn't bad considering it's flight and VEA too! Personally it's something I'd book but you obviously have to feel it's ok for you too.

Re check in. You can't 'check in' until 4 but can fill in paperwork then use the luggage store attached to hotel.

Personally I'd say hald board plus as a minimum. Although you could live of earl of sandwich if you really wanted.

Try the train station for cheaper water :)

Have a good trip!

St Andrews, United...
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time to DLP - so stressful..

Oh and you're not at all trappd. The free shuttle from hotel to parks dump your right at the station anyway so very simple to get into Paris.

Re VEA. I would use them again as very strss free and was 30 min on duel carriageway.

I think if you've never done it trains/metro with luggage and announcement etc you may not fully understand could be stressful. It's up to you though. We went for transfer due to having kids and a pushchair on top of cases.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
23,307 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time to DLP - so stressful..

Hi and welcome to the forum :+)

I agree with Caspdex about pricing up transport separately - you'll often find you'll pay a premium if you book flights through Disney. Also look at World Travellers website to price up accomodation/ticket packages as they frequently come up.cheaper than Disney.

How many days do you need park tickets for? Would you be leaving too early to go into the park on the 13th?

Getting into Paris is simple enough but it's a question of whether you can tear yourself away from the parks!

If you want to keep an eye on your budget then there are cheaper ways of eating than half board - McDonalds, Earl of Sandwich, sharing a pizza at Cafe Mickey. If you end up staying off site at Val d'Europe there are lots of good value eateries there.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time to DLP - so stressful..

Thanks guys this has made everything a lot easier.

Why is the TGV one of the worst ways? Is it hectic or something?

We only need tickets for say 2 days but Disney automatically put 4 through on the package deal.

X

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
23,307 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time to DLP - so stressful..

If you only need tickets for two days then it could work out quite a bit cheaper to stay off site and buy tickets separately from somewhere like FNAC - on phone so can't give links I'm afraid.

I guess it comes down to whether you want to do each bit separately and potentially save cash or go for the convenience of a Disney package.

Another option is to ring Disney and explain you only need two days of park tickets - sometimes they will tweak your package and give you an amended price.

uk
Level Contributor
648 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time to DLP - so stressful..

I would try to cram snacks in ur case and water bottle or those cups that keep hot drinks warm all day u will save masses. Also maybe check out off site accomodation, u might find a really lovely appt or hotel with a shuttle at a better price .

uk
Level Contributor
648 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time to DLP - so stressful..

Check out travel republic, prices are good for the dates ur quoting for an offsite hotel or apartment x

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
53,616 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time to DLP - so stressful..

Hi and welcome.

This is World Travellers website who often give cheaper prices than Disney for Resort or Offsite Accommodation as a package including park tickets - they are usually very helpful and friendly over the phone and quite a few of our Posters have used them, including overseas ones.

www.disneylandparisoffers.com/…

Staying in a Disney hotel gives you Extra Magic Hours but if going at a quiet time this is not really necessary anyway, and only about 7 rides are open early. As you are planning to be there over a weekend the parks will be busy on Sat and Sun, but not usually as crowded in January after Christmas season has ended.

If you decide to stay offsite Hotel Elysee is opposite the railway station in Val D'Europe, and near the huge modern shopping mall there. You can take the RER A train one stop to Disneyland, or in the other direction to Paris, so easy for sightseeing there. If you can see our Top Questions there is one about visiting Paris from Disney.

The reason that the TGV train can be a bit difficult from CDG is that you can't guarantee what time your flight will arrive, or how long it may take from landing to getting to the TGV station on the lower level in Terminal 2D. The cheapest Prem tickets have to be purchased well in advance and they cannot be used on a later train than booked. Full price tickets can be as much as 30€ each way, but it varies. Frequency of the TGV also varies between about 20 mins to 90 mins, so this depends on your arrival time.

However, the journey only takes about 10 mins, plus time to get to your hotel from Chessy station, and many people like using this train if they don't have a lot of luggage or young children / pushchairs to cope with. Some use the VEA bus or a private transfer for arrival, but book the TGV for return when they can be sure of catching their specified train.

If you only want two days in the parks you can book Hotel Elysee independently and buy park tickets separately on one of the French ticket websites like FNAC or ticketnet.fr

Also look at Studio rooms in Hipark Serris which have one double sofa bed, and self catering facilities. These are my photos -

flickr.com/photos/…

I have stayed there twice, and will be doing so again in February. More info is in my review

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g780713-d3…

If you want to be able to walk to the parks and Chessy station easily from your hotel and be onsite, then you need to consider one of the hotels around Lake Disney - Sequoia Lodge (which has been refurbished) , Newport Bay (currently being refurbished) or the New York (refurb due later). A little further are the Cheyenne and Santa Fe, both about 20 min walk to the parks. The Santa Fe has been refurbished. I have also booked the Santa Fe for February with Hotels.com without park tickets for £118 for 3 nts Tuesday - Friday (with free cancellation) including breakfast, which was cheaper than Hipark which cost £150 (Early Bird booking, non flexible or refundable). I am still deciding what to do, as Hipark have said they will allow me to change dates but not refund. Ah decisions, decisions....

As Lelly says, sometimes Disney may reduce the price of a package if you don't want park tickets for your whole stay, but I'm not sure if this is only if staying 5 nights or more. Worth asking.

08448 008 111

This is ticketnet.fr website where you can buy cheaper Francilien 1 day 1 park or 1 day 2 park tickets (at least 5 days in advance) and print off e-tickets.

www.ticketnet.fr/resultat?ipSearch=disneyland

FNAC are still offering the 1 day 2 park Noel ticket until 10th January for visits up to 16th February, available as e-ticket.

fnacspectacles.com/place-spectacle/manifesta…

You can see the locations of the various hotels on the map of the area. It doesn't show Hipark as this is a fairly new property, but it is sort of between nos. 18 & 26 as a guide.

I have never eaten in McDonalds in DLP as there are other places I prefer for a cheaper meal, like Earl of Sandwich, or maybe a pizza or one course in King Ludwigs or Planet Hollywood, or maybe Annettes Diner or Rainforest Cafe. I also often combine lunch & dinner in one of the all-you-can-eat buffets.

I have some photos of counter service menus and prices, and other restaurants in this set

flickr.com/photos/…

They will give you tap water if you ask, which is fine to drink, or bottled water is cheaper in the shop in Chessy station, the shop in the petrol station near hotel Santa Fe, or in the Auchan supermarket in Val DE shopping mall. There are drinking water fountains in both parks but these may not be working in cold weather.

http://www.dlrpmagic.com/guidebook/map/

Roissy-en-France...
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time to DLP - so stressful..

Flight from Manchester terminal 2E with Flybe.

TGV station between terminal 2D and 2F not very far and easy to reach.

Take the TGV and next stop Chessy ... DLP!! 10 minutes maximum ... In Paris, we usually take buses or trains without payment.

For Jim Morisson .... Père Lachaise cimetery. You should ask on internet what number and "road" because this cimetery is very big ... Ever gone.

Have a nice stay in France.

Edited: 03 January 2014, 21:50