We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime and Safety

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Crime and Safety

Hello :)

I read a lot about high criminality in the suburbs of Paris.

I'm planning to travel to Paris in summer. We booked a Disneyland hotel inside the park, but as we want to stay for a longer time, it would get too expensive to spend the whole holiday inside of Disneyland.

I was actually thinking about staying in Versailles the rest of the days. Now I've come across some really nice looking hotels in Chessy. However I read a lot about crime and safety outside of Paris. Does that also refer to Chessy and hotels near Disney Village?

Is it safe for two young girls to be in Chessy?

Thank you very much

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,668 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime and Safety

Statistically the vast majority of suburbs are a lot safer than Paris (and range from lower middle-class to wealthy) so what you read in the media is about the minority that are bad (a bit like saying air travel is dangerous after hearing about a deadly air crash). Most tough suburbs are north of Paris but there are little pockets of crime in other suburbs too just as there are in different parts of Paris. Versailles is as much a suburb of Paris as Chessy by the way :)

I am not very familiar with Chessy and the whole Disneyland area so I can't comment on safety but would assume that Chessy is safe enough. These towns are new so they don't have a reputation yet: these places used to be little medieval villages of the Brie which developed recently as modern developments because of Disneyland so most things are brand new. Hopefully regulars from the Disneyland and Marne-la-Vallée forums will be able to give you a better idea of what the area around your hotel is like (you need to provide an address as in all towns, there may be good and bad areas).

But if you won't be going to Disneyland on your extra days, there is no point staying in Chessy. Do you plan to visit Paris or other places? Because if it's to visit Paris, staying in Chessy won't be very interesting and will only add commute time.

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime and Safety

France is notably unsafe.

They have beheaded a lot of people in 1789 and they have it int their blood.

Se people on forum come in 2 kinds :

-alarmist who say you're going to be mugged

- blinds who say it is ok to be in Paris.

there are a lot of threads on safety on this forum.

Both ignore the fact that in Paris you don't only have thieves but also wolves, rats and zombies.

Wolves are roaming the city and eat especially tourists (they like the taste)

Rats are only biting you.

fortunately you can buy pills that protect you from wolves at immigration

Zombies are not real zombies but actually toursits bitten by rats. These poor tourists are pretty harmless and simply woalk in circles repeating 'I should have asked for pills at immigration'.

What you can read about safey in PAris is as accurate as waht I read on safety in US : if we believed what is said, we'd never move one inch from home.

just don't go around with an open wallet and leaving your stuff unattended whilst going to toilet. Pay as reasonable attention as you would at home and you'll be safe.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime and Safety

Your biggest risk in Chessy is being bored to death. It's a village with no threats to life or limb.

And staying in Versailles and commuting to Disney is pure madness -- two hours on the train each way!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,672 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime and Safety

Stay in disney while you are visiting disney and then stay in Paris for your days in Paris. planning to commute from well outside Paris wastes time and money

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime and Safety

Staying in Paris or staying at Disney and commuting to see the other is no big deal -- it's just about an hour from Disney to pretty much anywhere in Paris...no longer than most folks' morning work commute, and probably less time than you'd spend driving.

I'm one of the people who simply cannot be bothered to pick up and move hotels for a difference of 15 miles/23km, especially with a highly-efficient public transportation system.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,668 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime and Safety

I agree Sunshine, but the OP has to change hotels anyway, she is staying at a hotel in the Disneyland park and wants to extend her stay beyond her Disneyland trip but cannot afford to stay at that hotel extra nights. So since she has to check out and check in again anyway, it would be worth knowing what she is planning on visiting afterwards and what her budget is.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime and Safety

Thank you very much for all the replies!

We were actually planning on staying for only five days (four inside of Disneyland and one in Versailles), but now I'm getting more time off so it would be possible to stay up to two weeks .I've already been to Paris and seen most of the famous sights a year ago, so this time we wanted to focus on visiting Versailles and Disneyland. Actually we are mainly driving to France to visit Disneyland (with my little son) so staying near it would be the smartest option as we would be able to visit the park every free hour. (I'll be going there with a friend and my son and we'll make some nice stops on the way to Paris to see some cultural sights too, but as soon as we are there my son will not want to leave Disneyland anymore)

The question is whether the suburbs are really safe. I have to admit that I'm a really fearful person, so if the answer is no, I'd rather stay in Versailles and just spend a little less time in Disneyland. I'm not planning on going to Paris again (we will get there for Christmas), but there are a lot of sights and castles around Versailles and I've once read that Versailles is the only "safe suburbs" in the Paris area. So it really all depends on whether Chessy is a good area. There are also a lot of hotels in Serris (like L'Elysée Val d'Europe at Disneyland® Paris) and Magny-le-Hongre that we are considering...

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
23,307 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crime and Safety

Hi Trippy

Many, many posters on this forum stay in the hotels near Val d'Europe without any issues or incidents - I'd say it's as safe as anywhere these days. We're spending a night there with our young daughter in December.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crime and Safety

Thank you :)

Val d'Europe is in Magny-le-Hongre right? Do you think Serris is also safe? Thank you for your reply

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
9,830 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crime and Safety

Hi, we stayed in Serris, Val d'Europe for a week last year. We never felt uncomfortable or unsafe when returning to the hotel from the train station (approx 10 minutes walk) and sometimes didn't get back until midnight.