We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time going to DLP. Need some guidance!

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Topic
First time going to DLP. Need some guidance!

Hi. Firstly I want to apologise if my questions are repetitive and already answered.

I'm feeling overwhelmed with the wealth of information on this forum. As a newbie to anything disney it is very hard to visualise things!

We are a family of 6, staying in the New York at the end of August for 5 nights. We have the plus meal plan.

We are due to visit our travel agent this week to book dinner reservations.

We are thinking of going for Cafe Mickey, Walts, Annette's diner and Buffalo bills for the Friday evening.

It is my DD Birthday while there, so the two of us are planning on having dinner with the Princesses, so need recommendations for another restaurant for the rest of the family?

What time would be good to book dinner?

We are thinking of booking breakfast for 7.30am so we can make use of EMH.

Can anyone confirm if the parade is 5pm or 7pm?

I've made the assumption that we would watch the parade daily, DH thinks this is a it extreme and that most people would only watch it a couple of times!

What is a good time to book for the meal with the Princesses? Is this available Saturday and Sunday? Would lunch be better? I was also going to try and book a Birthday cake.

I was hoping to book Princess for the day before the meal, but I've gathered this can't be done until we have arrived.

Is it worth using the meal plan vouchers as part payment for Buffalo bills and the meal with Princesses?

I'm so worried I'll forget to do something important. We have saved for a long time and I don't want the children to miss out on anything.

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

South Devon, United...
Level Contributor
3,709 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time going to DLP. Need some guidance!

Hello!

There are a lot of questions here that others will be able to answer better than me.

I will say though that the parades were my personal favourite, and I watched as many as I could!

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time going to DLP. Need some guidance!

For your other meal what about Inventions? It will cost more but IMO it's worth it, though if you already have cafe mickey you already have a chracter meal so if not how about chef remy, the new ratatouille ride restaurant, I think but not sure that it will be covered my plus vouchers.

Breakfast time sounds good, If you don't get them time slots don't worry just go at 7.30 anyway

Just see how the time goes, you can plan to see the parade everyday and then if you don't feel like going then don't and if you do, then go watch it :)

I'm retty sure Auberge is open at the weekends but you can check when you make ADR's and get a birthday cake, its amazing!

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time going to DLP. Need some guidance!

you might aswell use the vouchers towards the meals if it means having vouchers left over and I would try and book Auberge for 12.

I don't know if you have to be there to book princess for a day but if you wanted I could book it for you when I go in August or you could try emailing the hotel telling them it's your daughters birthday and you are going for the princess meal and really wanted to make the day special by starting with the make over and they might just book a spot for you :)

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time going to DLP. Need some guidance!

Thank amzma, that's really kind of you. We are going into the travel agents at the end of the week, so I will phone /email the hotel then and try and book the Princess day.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time going to DLP. Need some guidance!

Let me know if you get it all sorted :)

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
618 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time going to DLP. Need some guidance!

Hi! It does seem overwhelming the first time, doesn't it?!

Not sure about the princess stuff as we've not really done that. I would highly recommend Buffalo Bill's - we did it last year and put our half board plus vouchers towards it when we booked with the hotel concierge, who also offered us €10 Euros off per person, leaving a surplus of around €50 to pay for 2 adults, 1 five year old and a 2 year old - this seemed much less horrific than of we'd paid the full price in one go!

When we went in August last year, the parade was 7pm and we did it a couple of times. If you eat at Walts, on MAin Street and book around parade time, you can request a window seat and watch the parade while you eat. No guarantees for the window seat though.

In terms of other restaurant recommendations, we love the Blue Lagoon, which is part of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride and really atmospheric. We definitely want to try Bistrot chez Remy this year too. We tend to eat earlier, around 5ish, as the kids are getting hungry, there's time to watch the parade afterwards and then still do some rides - I think it tends to be quieter at this time, as a lot of people eat at 8pm, after the parades.

Hope some of that helps and have a fantastic trip!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
23,307 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time going to DLP. Need some guidance!

Hi, just be aware that the parade is so far scheduled to be at 5.30pm throughout August this year rather than 7pm so take this into account when making dining reservations.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
53,616 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time going to DLP. Need some guidance!

Hi

Princess for a day salon makeover can ONLY be booked in the DLH hotel shop in person, paying the full cost in advance. You can't add it to a Disney package. It isn't open every day of the year. We usually post any dates or news on one of our PFAD threads in the TQ list.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
53,616 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time going to DLP. Need some guidance!

Yes, reports are that DMOP will not change to 7pm this summer. Very strange- maybe they want the restaurants to be busier from 6pm than from 7.30pm. Maybe due to guest feedback regarding eating times.

But it will be far hotter waiting for and watching DMOP at the earlier time in July & August. There won't be much shade along the route on sunny days bearing in mind that people start getting places at least an hour before DMOP begins.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
618 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time going to DLP. Need some guidance!

Ooh, I'm so glad I read this about parade times before making restaurant bookings! Thanks - just assumed it would be the same as last year.