We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alta with kids and early march

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Alta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
China
Level Contributor
227 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Alta with kids and early march

Hi

I've booked 1 night in the Ice Hotel in Alta so we will probably stay in the same area for a 2-4days. Not sure I'm looking for a stay downtown, in a resort or in a isolated farm but we will have a car. Is there a place around Alta you advise to go and stay with kids aged 2 and 5 ?

Presence of children playground, icerink (it can be outdoors) and/or pool nearby would definetely be a plus

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,149 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Alta with kids and early march

As there is no road to Jotka and the only way getting there in winter is by scooter - I suppose they will have the proper equipment if someone arrives with children. The caretakers themselves have 3 children according to the site.

On the other hand I think tourists with small children will be a rarity.

As I explained earlier, winter tourism in this area is only a few years old. Traditionally, these refuges serve as accomodation for the Sami reindeer hearders. In summer there may be hikers and those who want to fish in the lakes. The refuges are also stately owned and the caretakers will get their salary no matter what, so I suppose proper marketing towards the tourist side of affairs is not a priority.

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Alta with kids and early march

Jotka is only about one mile from the road. They pick you up by boat in the summer, snowmobile in the winter.

I have stayed at Jotka (in the summer). It is a beautiful place with simple, but ambient accommodation.

China
Level Contributor
227 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Alta with kids and early march

This thread is getting quite lively - i tried google translate from norwegian and it works very well, the translations are much clearer than from Chinese, which I've used a few times.

Brainspin, kids have rode before in the front of dogsleds and pulled by snowmobiles, the older one fell pretty hard on a dogsleds - 'coz of her father little skills- and is more afraid of it than of snowmobile. Yet she does want to ride the dogsled. I would rather pull her on a sleigh than have her sitting on the back of the snowmobile.

Not so sure abt the cottages as I need internet connection to work, the websites don't state wether there is any but the places look quite raw, did you get internet in Jotka ?

I noticed they have a 4 y o child in Jotka, so might have some toys/sleds for the younger kids, or they could even play together. Downtown would be much easier but it doesn't look like high season so guess I still have a few days to decide

China
Level Contributor
227 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Alta with kids and early march

Also, as the kids will stay in a hotel in warmer and more urbanised Tromso after Alta , while I spend a few days in Svalbard, it might be good time they enjoy a few days in a more remote cottage during those vacations. Missus Kojis wouldn't mind either.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,149 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Alta with kids and early march

They can receive e-mails so they must have some sort of connection with the outer world.

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Alta with kids and early march

Jotka does have internet, but they are not connected to the electricity grid. They have a generator. When I was there, they started it in the afternoon when guests wanted to surf the internet :)

China
Level Contributor
227 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Alta with kids and early march

Well I got curious enough about Jotka to shoot them an email, if I can access internet there on a private computer that might do the trick - I can probably buy harness before going anyway, especially that we seem to spend more and more time upnorth

China
Level Contributor
227 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Alta with kids and early march

I don't know how good is the internet connection in Jotka or how much they care for customers, but haven't received a reply yet :(

Might take the easier path and book in downtown Alta and Tromso as I will be quite busy with other things until we leave - doesn't sound bad either.

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Alta with kids and early march

That's a pity. I really think that would be something completely different than Alta center.

Have you tried to call the boss, Steinar Kristensen?

+47 906 36 290

20. Re: Alta with kids and early march

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2014, 13:15
Get answers to your questions about Alta