We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oslo Airport on a Wwinter Sunday evening

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Sheffield, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Oslo Airport on a Wwinter Sunday evening

After a week in Norway we are travelling back to England with a stopover on Sunday night 27 February 2011at Gardermoen Airport before catching an early morning flight to Manchester. We thought about going into Oslo but decided that this was probably the worst time to see anything and not worth the expense. The incoming flight arrives at 1405 but, by the time we got to Oslo, the museums would I guess be about to close so nothing to do but eat. So we've booked into the Scandic hotel at the airport. Can anyone suggest anything to do in or near the airport for a few hours - if only to recommend a restaurant in Gardermoen which is open on a Sunday in February, to avoid resorting to an airport/hotel meal? Suggestions welcome!

Oslo
Level Contributor
15,017 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oslo Airport on a Wwinter Sunday evening

There is not much to at Gardermoen, only the airport and a handful of hotels. The next village is Jessheim some 6-7 km by car.

The airport train takes you downtown in 19 min, although expensive (180 NOK one way).

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oslo Airport on a Wwinter Sunday evening

Just lyying in your hotel, watching television, reading a book, doing nothing, might be relaxing. But there is absolutely nothing around Gardermoen, and if you want to go somewhere from you hotel, you must take an expensive taxi.

I would actually have stayed in Oslo instead. For instance at hotel Clarion Folketeateret, close to the central station and close to nice restaurants and bars.

Two of the most interesting museums - The Astrup-Fearnley museum for modern art and the National Gallery with it's Munch room, are actually open until 5 p.m. on Sundays. Bar delays, you'll be able to get your luggage, get on the train and be inside your room in central Oslo before 3.30. The museums are both about 15 minutes walk from the mentioned hotel. and you'll have time to visit one of them. (The viking ships and the Munch museum. however, are not in the city centre).

Sheffield, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oslo Airport on a Wwinter Sunday evening

Many thanks to both respondents. I'm still undecided! Where would you recommend to eat either in Gardermoen/airport or central Oslo on a Sunday evening? Something different but not too expensive.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,612 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oslo Airport on a Wwinter Sunday evening

Gardermoen is in the middle of the deep countryside and there are no restaurants except for those at the hotels. I have only had a meal at Radisson Blu myself, excellent hotel and excellent breakfast but the restaurant meal was very ordinary and not at all cheap.

Oslo has a very good and varied restaurant venue including michelin ** ones. Better choose your hotel first and then I am sure the locals will help you find a suitable restaurant nearby.

5. Re: Oslo Airport on a Wwinter Sunday evening

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2011, 06:19