We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route from Adelaide to Melbourne (via Great Ocean Road)

Adelaide, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Route from Adelaide to Melbourne (via Great Ocean Road)

Hi there, my family are looking at travelling from Adelaide to Melbourne and would like to see the Great Ocean Road - we are leaving Thursday night (3am) and do not check in to our hotel till 2pm on Friday - Can someone please give me correct route to take as I am a female and am having difficulties reading the maps Do I go:

Adelaide to Victor Harbour

Vh to Robe

Robe to Mt Gambier

Mt Gamier to Port Fairy

Port Fairy to Apollo Bay

Apollo Bay to Ballarat

Ballarat to Melbourne.

Please I need assistance - thank you

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route from Adelaide to Melbourne (via Great Ocean Road)

the gor basically runs from warnambool to geelong along the coast. ballarat does not come into it. the quickest route from adelaide is via murray bridge,naracoorte and mt gambier.

but imo what u r planning to do in 12 hours is not only unachievable but unsafe.

check out the distances and think again. it is really a 2 day trip if u want to see the gor properly. u have to detour, stop and walk to see the best of it

Edited: 03 April 2012, 22:15
Broadford, Australia
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route from Adelaide to Melbourne (via Great Ocean Road)

Hi,

What is your objective in this trip? To get to Melbourne or see the Great Ocean Road? As Lien says, neither is feasible.

Why would you leave at 3am? It wont be daylight until nearly 7am and you will lose an half-hour at the border. You'll be totally wrecked by the time you haul your weary ... selves ... into Melbourne and try and use your tired female brain to find your hotel. Could you not book into a motel along the GOR instead and leave at an hour when you normally wouldn't be sleeping?

Adelaide, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Route from Adelaide to Melbourne (via Great Ocean Road)

Our objective is to travel to Melbourne for the easter break - I thought we could see the great ocean road on the way - The Melbourne hotel is booked for Friday at 2.00pm? I have to return to Adelaide on Tuesday? Are you saying I need to stay overnight - How long does it take from the Great Ocean Road to Melbourne?

Broadford, Australia
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route from Adelaide to Melbourne (via Great Ocean Road)

It will take you pretty much 11 hours of solid, non-stop driving from Adelaide to Melbourne via GOR. The road is very winding, will be busy over the Easter Break and there are many places where you would want to stop and have a look at the sights/views. Most recommendations for the GOR Adelaide to Melbourne are 2-3 night stops.

Bear in mind that you don't HAVE to arrive at your hotel on the dot of 2pm.

It's 8 hours of solid driving to Melbourne if you go inland via Bordertown, Horsham and Ballarat.

If you haven't booked anywhere to stay now, your chances are a bit slim as many places require 2 day minimums over Holiday periods in the tourist areas.

Personally I'd take the inland route and drive at a more leisurely pace and arrive better rested in Melbourne to take in the delights we have to offer.

Adelaide, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Route from Adelaide to Melbourne (via Great Ocean Road)

Thanxs for the advice - appreciate it. We have decided to go directly to Melbourne and upon our return will go via Great Ocean Road and have booked a night at Apollo Bay (just confirmed the booking) thank you and appreciate your time and advice - Cheers and Happy Easter

just one more question: do you think we will see enough in the 1 night accommodation? obviously not - which sites would you recommend - we have two young children?

Edited: 04 April 2012, 15:15
Broadford, Australia
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route from Adelaide to Melbourne (via Great Ocean Road)

Hi,

Sorry I don't have young children any more and do not take Grandlings for holidays, only day-trips. I also don't know what your likes are and you will still be pushed a bit for time. The GOR is full of natural beauty and the scenery is the big drawcard. There is the Apostles, Loch Ard Gorge

Here is a link from the Victorian Tourism people

visitvictoria.com/Regions/…Family.aspx

There is a great adventure playground at Lake Pertobe in Warrnambool with plenty of place for kids to run around and have a picnic.

littlemelbourne.com.au/to-visit/out-of-town/…

I hope you have a great time and please, drive carefully!

Mandurah, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Route from Adelaide to Melbourne (via Great Ocean Road)

Hello,

I would like to know how you got on with the return trip from Melbourne to Adelaide. I am planning to make this trip in Oct this year with my two sons and my wife. My two boys are 9 and 6 and we would like to have a great time. We are able to do the trip over a week if we wanted to but that would include seeing Melbourne a little too. I am flying in from Perth, I have relatives in Adeliade and will be either leaving from there and flying out to Perth from Melbourne after having done the journey or visa versa. Do we even need a week? Would we be better off spending some of that time somewhere else in Adelaide, maybe going up to Flinders Ranges? We are actually over that way for a total of two weeks.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

8. Re: Route from Adelaide to Melbourne (via Great Ocean Road)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 03:16