We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Ocean Road - how far should we go?

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Great Ocean Road - how far should we go?

Hi, we have just arrived at Torquay from Sydney and will be based here for the next two days while we check out the GOR. I thought we would just go as far as 12 Apostles but it has been suggested that we should go all the way to Warrnambool. I would appreciate your recommendations. We are a couple in our mid 40s. Thank you!!

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,996 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Ocean Road - how far should we go?

Port fairy is a lovely town- keep going until you want to stop - that's one thing I love about travel

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Ocean Road - how far should we go?

Personally I don't think u have to go too much further than the bay of islands

The towns further on have their pluses but as far as coastal scenery is concerned its all a bit ordinary after what u have already seen.

Bulli, Australia
Level Contributor
168 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Ocean Road - how far should we go?

Keep going to Port Fairy or Warrnambool for sure. So many great scenic opportunities which you wont see anywhere else. We spent the night in Port Fairy then woke early to explore the walks nearby when it was pretty much empty. Such a beautiful place.

You could also consider coming back inland. It is different landscape from the coast with some cute little towns along the way

Warrnambool
Level Contributor
116 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Ocean Road - how far should we go?

Yes drive along to warrnambool or port fairy

Download the Shipwreck Discovery Trail from the Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village web site for a great to check some lovely little sites along the way and be sure to visit Logan's beach whale viewing platform as there are whales there right now.

5. Re: Great Ocean Road - how far should we go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2014, 05:17