We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I would welcome your suggested itinerary

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
I would welcome your suggested itinerary

I am planning to drive along the Great Ocean Road and surrounding areas like the Otways for 5 days. I have read a lot of information available on the internet but I would like to ask for some personal opinions of the areas of interest and not just those that are being sold to me by operators. I will be travelling on my own, have my own vehicle, average walking skills, ready for peace and quiet or moments of adventure.

I would like to ask - if you were to plan an itinerary for me, what would it include?

PS: Planning the trip to take place in late Sept, early Oct 2013.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,302 posts
1,480 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I would welcome your suggested itinerary

Hi,

Itinerary suggestion - 5 days

Lorne or Apollo Bay - Great Otway NP.

Port Campbell - 12 Apostles / Loch Ard Gorge / London Bridge/

Mount Gambier - The Blue Lake / Piccaninnie Ponds

Grampians National Park and onto Halls Gap.

Ballarat.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I would welcome your suggested itinerary

I did the trip in April 2011 with my husband and 3 kids and loved it. We all enjoyed the surfie atmosphere at Torquay and enjoyed checking out Bells beach and the other local surfing spots. The Otway Fly Tree Top Adventures http://www.otwayfly.com/ was fantastic and the drive in and out through the tall tree forests is quite breathtaking. Port Campbell is a gorgeous little town and the closest town to the 12 apostles, London Bridge and Loch Ard which are all truly amazing. Personally I wouldn't bother with Warrnambool, it doesn't have much going for it but Mount Gambier is a surprisingly interesting little town with its sink hole garden and famous Blue Lake and there are a number of good value Mount Gambier Hotels too. We stayed at the Quality Inn Presidential (choicehotels.com.au/en/quality-inn-president…) but quite liked the look of the Comfort Inn Silver Birch too (choicehotels.com.au/en/comfort-inn-silver-bi…). Halls Gap is a lovely little town nestled at the base of the Grampians and there are some great drives, walks in that area including the Mackenzie Falls which is really lovely. You can stay in the cabins at the caravan park there, they're good value and surrounded by lots of lovely trees.

Geelong, Victoria...
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I would welcome your suggested itinerary

A little further on from Warrnambool is Port Fairy which is a lovely little town well worth stopping at or spending a night even.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I would welcome your suggested itinerary

We recently traveled a part of the GOR and we dropped by the Split Point lighthouse, Aireys Inlet for a tour. It is still an operating lighthouse and the views from the top are simply amazing. Afterwards you can down to the tea room near by for a cup of tea or coffee. Lovely atmosphere.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,062 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I would welcome your suggested itinerary

From Port Fairy you could head up north to The Grampians, Halls Gap.

Head South West from Halls Gap to Hamilton, drive though scenic grazing country to Coleraine, Casterton (were the kelpie dog originates from), Naracoorte (Caves), Robe (Crayfish), Along the Coorong (Indigenous land) to Tailem Bend and Adelaide

Distance Calculator www.auinfo.com

www.visitvictoria.com

www.southaustralia.com

6. Re: I would welcome your suggested itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2014, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Great Ocean Road