We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Ocean Route - 2d, 1n

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Great Ocean Route - 2d, 1n

Hi guys, looking for some advice here...I am planning for a 2d, 1n drive on the GOR. I plan to start the day early in Melbourne then stop to see Torquay/Bells Beach, Lorne, Apollo Bay, 12 Apostles along the way and then overnight either in Port Campbell or Warrnanbool or Port Fairy to return straight to MEL for a night flight to SYD. My trip will be in early December. My questions are:

- where is the best spot around PC/12 Apostles area to go down the cliffs to the beach for a stroll?

- where can I find better accomodation, PC or Warrnanbool? Is it worth the extra drive to Warrnanbool for a better hotel?

- what are your recommendations for good restaurants for lunch in Lorne or Apollo Bay and Port Fairy region (where I plan to lunch before making my way back to MEL).

Many thanks and regards!

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Torquay
Torquay
Victoria, Australia
Bells Beach
Bells Beach
Victoria, Australia
Lorne
Lorne
Victoria, Australia
Apollo Bay
Apollo Bay
Victoria, Australia
Port Campbell
Port Campbell
Victoria, Australia
Port Fairy
Port Fairy
Victoria, Australia
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,478 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Ocean Route - 2d, 1n

There is a fair bit to see on the GOR plus due to the nature of the road speed is restricted to about 80 km/hour in most parts of the road. There are plenty of restaurants at Lorne and Apollo bay and accommodation at Port Campbell should be readily available.

However Warrnambool is a decent size town with plenty of Motels and hotels and would be a better choice to stay overnight. You will need to allow approx. 4hrs travel time from Warrnambool to Melbourne. Due to the upgrade of the Princess Highway between Waurn Ponds and Colac speed is restricted to around 60 to 80k/hour in the road work zones. Whilst IMO what you plan to do in two days is certainly doable it will be a very rushed trip.

Mentioned in this post
Lorne
Lorne
Victoria, Australia
Port Campbell
Port Campbell
Victoria, Australia
Warrnambool
Warrnambool
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Waurn Ponds
Waurn Ponds
Victoria, Australia
Colac
Colac
Victoria, Australia
Melboune
Level Contributor
2,209 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Ocean Route - 2d, 1n

Restaurants at Lorne? Well, there is quite a choice, but personal favourites (mainly for coastal atmosphere, but the food is perfectly competent, too) are Lorne Beach Pavilion (right on the foreshore, but a hundred metres or so to the left of the main beach as you look out to sea) and the Pier Restaurant (right at the pier, of course, so you need to drive through town - doesn't look much from the outside but it's fine).

The Lorne Hotel does a good job, too. With luck you can get a window table and look out at the beach through the trees.

Speaking of pubs, the Wye River Hotel is good, too. Here, just about every table has a great view, and you can sit outside if you wish.

Mentioned in this post
Lorne
Lorne
Victoria, Australia
Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Ocean Route - 2d, 1n

If you are only driving to Warrnambool for the accommodation, then it is not worth the drive. You are better of just staying in Port Campbell. That also has the advantage of cutting time off your trip in both directions so if there is something you missed on the first day you can see it on the way back and/or take some time to explore Port Campbell before taking the in land road back.

Mentioned in this post
Warrnambool
Warrnambool
Victoria, Australia
Port Campbell
Port Campbell
Victoria, Australia
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,670 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Ocean Route - 2d, 1n

Melb to Warrnambul via hte gOR will be a very long day. I've just done hte GOR in 3 D/2/N & it was a lot of driving. I'd keep an open mind about where you stay for the night and be prepared to stop closer to the 12 apostles and then take one of the side roads up to Colac to hit the Princes Highway for the return trip.

Mentioned in this post
Colac
Colac
Victoria, Australia
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Ocean Route - 2d, 1n

Thanks for the valuable tips guys, well appreciated. It's a shame I do not have more time for the GOR this time around, but better to have a glimpse than nothing at all...

On the other hand I am rethinking my plans. I was supposed to go from MEL to SYD and have 3 full days in SYD which I start to think might be too much (just want to do some sightseeing and Bondi), then I could stretch GOR to 2 nights, where it seems there's more to see than in SYD...

6. Re: Great Ocean Route - 2d, 1n

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2014, 05:17