We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day to drive the GOR

Montana
Level Contributor
16 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
One day to drive the GOR

We will be traveling from the US to Australia in late February. We will be staying in Melbourne Feb. 23-25. We're considering spending a day driving down the GOR from Melbourne to the Apostles and back to Melbourne in a day. How long would that trip take (in hours)? We're all adults and accomplished drivers. Any suggestions, comments and advice are appreciated.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
6,078 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day to drive the GOR

I Simply would not even think about it especially if coming straight off an international flight. To travel down to see the twelve apostles in one day and return to Melbourne is not doable. The distance from Melbourne is a nearly 600k plus round trip from Melbourne and would involve a good 12 hours of driving.

The road is very windy with speed restrictions in place and requires intense concentration at the best of times.

I would suggest staying at least 2 nights in the area to sample what the region has to offer. Or doing a day trip to Anglesea or Lorne. Anglesea has a good golf course with a mob of kangaroos in residence.

A day trip of this nature will soon fill in the day and give you an idea of the spectacular scenery on the GOR. There is also a planned upgrade of the GOR to take place around the end of Jan there will be roadworks in place in Anglesea, Lorne and Allansford with speed heavily reduced in roadwork zones.

Please feel free to ask more questions if you want to

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day to drive the GOR

Good advice from Famrick. If you really want to see the GOR & only have 1 day, we recommend doing a tour. It's still a long day, but you can relax on the bus & not have the stress of driving. ATWAD & Go West are small group bus tours which have been recommended on the forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255100-i278-k3387…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255100-i278-k3412…

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,684 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day to drive the GOR

Neither enjoyable nor safe, I second the suggestion to take a tour if one day is all you can spare.

4. Re: One day to drive the GOR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2014, 05:16