We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stop in campervan on great ocean road

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stop in campervan on great ocean road

Hi me and my friends are hiring a campervan and travelling down the great ocean road, but we not sure where to park the camper at night to sleep? Can anyone help us?

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
5,887 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stop in campervan on great ocean road

There are plenty of caravan parks along the GOR all with good facilities. Its illegal to camp beside the road or in car parks as well as being potentially dangerous.

My suggestion is to stay in registered camping grounds and support the local communities.

www.visitvictoria.com has information on camping along the GOR.

If you can give us an idea of where you intend to stop we will try and provide more specific information.

Safe travelling.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stop in campervan on great ocean road

There are a few free campsites when you get to the Otways such as Blanket Bay. It's about 20 kilometres past Apollo Bay and then 6 kilometres down a dirt road. Popular with backpackers who are driving from Melbourne to Adelaide and often gets used as an overnight stop. As it's in the national park they don't take bookings, it's first in best dressed.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stop in campervan on great ocean road

Dont attempt to pull up somewhere in or near a town, or a ranger will find you and bang on hour door and tell you to move on or go to the caravan park....happened to me! I dont know what authority he had but scared the hec out of me so I drove off.

Very limited if any free camps along the GOR, so stop at a caravan park, you should have enough power for 1 night on the house battery,,, enquire at the hire company, so you can save a bit by getting an unpowered site....and enjoy a really nice long hot shower!

Warrnambool
Level Contributor
116 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stop in campervan on great ocean road

Explore the shipwreck coast with the shipwreck discovery trail which is downloadable on the Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village web site.

There are some great coastal camping grounds which are well developed for campervans.

5. Re: Where to stop in campervan on great ocean road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 04:15