We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent advice needed! Visiting The Grampians

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
Save Topic
Urgent advice needed! Visiting The Grampians

Hello,

A friend and I will be doing a 4d3n road trip along GOR in early June (tentative 3-7 June)

We will be coming from Melb city - Port Campbell - Port Fairy - Grampians (Halls Gap)?

We will be spending one night each in Port Campbell and Port Fairy. Thinking of spending two nights around The Grampians - Thurs 5 Jun - Sat 7 Jun.

Initially we were only looking at accomodation at Halls Gap but most of the accommodation (that fits our budget) that we were looking for seem to be sold out during these few days! :(

I have been reading some topics on this forum and understand that there seem to be more to see in Southern Grampian as Northern Grampians(due to the damage done by the bush fire)?

Not sure if there is really more in the South compared to the North.. would definitely like to get some opinions on this!

We are considering if its a wise choice to stay a night in Dunkeld and then the other in Halls Gap.

It would be good if I could get some suggestions on the activities/must-sees and the accommodation around The Grampians. We enjoy walking & basically anything that has to do with nature..

Am travelling with a friend, would require either 2 single/2bedroom cottages/apartments and our budget would be about 60aud each.

As accommodation seems to be selling out fast, I would really appreciate if anyone could help give us some advice asap!

Much thanks in advance!! :)

Edited: 18 May 2014, 15:29
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent advice needed! Visiting The Grampians

See …vic.gov.au/explore/…grampians-national-park

Much of the north is open, so still worth visiting...the area around The Pinnacles is a must see, as long as you can handle some rocky walking. Unfortunately MacKenzie falls are still closed, but there's plenty else to see.

Cave paintings mid-west, Mt Abrupt or Mt Sturgeon in the south etc.

Plenty of foodie destinations too, like Dunkeld, Mt Zero olives...

Melbourne
Level Contributor
8 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent advice needed! Visiting The Grampians

Hi,

Are you planning driving the GOR to Port Campbell from Melbourne in a single day? I would seriously reconsider that, if that is the case. Driving along the GOR is slow, due to many corners, traffic, and stopping to see the sites. I would consider staying a night in Lorne or Apollo Bay instead as a logical stopping point. Dunkeld is an excellent place to stay in the Grampians if it suits your budget. It's not far from Dunkeld to Halls Gap.

Cheers

Cat

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
5,717 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent advice needed! Visiting The Grampians

Another vote for #2's suggestion. If you have a look at recent posts on the GOR and indeed there is a good JBR review on the GOR - Adelaide - KI - Melbourne via the GOR which is quite relevant to your inquiry.

4. Re: Urgent advice needed! Visiting The Grampians

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 07:23