We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adl - GOR - Melb - Syd in 3 nights / 4 days?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Adl - GOR - Melb - Syd in 3 nights / 4 days?

Hi all,

Just wanted to seek out some expert opinions -

We need to get depart ADL on 29th May, Thursday & arrive in Sydney on Sunday 1st June.

So far we are thinking:

Thursday - Adelaide to Portland - 600km - 7hrs drive

Friday - Portland to Bimbi Koala Park (via GOR) - 250km - 3.5hrs (+ stop Bay of Islands, Grotto, 12 Apostles)

Saturday - Bimbi to Melbourne - 200km 3.5hrs (via Bells Beach)

Sunday - Melbourne to Sydney - 900km - a loooonnng drive.

There will be 2 of us driving & want to make the most of the GOR.

Any suggestions instead of Portland to even out the day?

Thoughts?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adl - GOR - Melb - Syd in 3 nights / 4 days?

Wow. We recently did this route in 15 nights and I still felt rushed! Personally, I would find this itinerary horrendously rushed and stressed (what happens if there's traffic or road works?).

Seeing only Bay of Islands, Grotto and 12 Apostles you will miss a lot of the glory of the GOR.

Do you have to drive to Sydney? You will do nothing but drive up the highway on your melb-SYD day. Why not fly?

Abs :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adl - GOR - Melb - Syd in 3 nights / 4 days?

Thanks for the reply!

We are relocating, hired a car ($15!!) & thought this would be a good way to get most of our belongings to Sydney. We did consider the Hays route, but seeing as we want to see 'something' may as well take advantage of the GOR.

......trying to make a little trip out of nothing :)

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adl - GOR - Melb - Syd in 3 nights / 4 days?

I don't know if I am understanding your plan right, but it sounds like on the one hand you want to get to Sydney and on the other hand you decided it was an opportunity to go along the GOR so you're trying to put them together? I agree with Abs140 that it's "horrendously rushed". Edit: Oh dear, so you'll be so piled up you won't be able to see out your rear view mirror? I'm liking the plan less and less, and that's from a starting point of agreeing with #1 about the rush and stress.

Edited: 20 May 2014, 13:30
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adl - GOR - Melb - Syd in 3 nights / 4 days?

thanks for replying -

what if we don't pile up so we can see clearly out of all windows? would that help? :)

we need to transport our stuff - which route would you recommend?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adl - GOR - Melb - Syd in 3 nights / 4 days?

That's only one of many aspects of your plan that concerns me, I just think trying to combine getting from A to B with enjoying a road trip holiday elsewhere all in limited time is not a plan.

Edited: 20 May 2014, 14:02
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,800 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adl - GOR - Melb - Syd in 3 nights / 4 days?

I would choose the shortest route. When you get to the other end , find somewhere close to Sydney that you would like to chill out at.

In my honest opnion I think going the way you have spelled out is really long and you will feel like you have driven the whole time( which you kind of will have done!!)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adl - GOR - Melb - Syd in 3 nights / 4 days?

The shortest route would be less than a handful of hours drive difference. In my mind the first & last day would be the same as if going straight from Adl to Syd but with scenery in between.

We are both prepared to be tired once we arrive, but that would be the case regardless of going via Hays vs GOR.

Thanks for taking the time to reply - if anyone has any suggestions as to where we can stop that would be great.

Also, regarding those landmarks on the GOR - are they easily located / signposted?

Edit: didn't mention that obviously in an ideal world this proposed road trip would be a lot longer!!

Edited: 21 May 2014, 00:23
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Adl - GOR - Melb - Syd in 3 nights / 4 days?

>>The shortest route would be less than a handful of hours drive difference.<< The result I get on Googlemaps is a difference of about 5 hours NOT factoring in the nature of the road and the need to get out and walk to the lookouts. >>We are both prepared to be tired once we arrive,<< And hopefully not before!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Adl - GOR - Melb - Syd in 3 nights / 4 days?

These responses have made me even more aware that it will be long & we certainly need to be fresh for those 2 x days of big driving.

We want to spread those extra 5 hours into the 2 x middle days where we will be stopping at the lookouts / meal in Melb etc. It will be our refresher!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Adl - GOR - Melb - Syd in 3 nights / 4 days?

Hi again,

Ah-ha, relocation, that makes sense.

The attractions on the GOR are very well signposted. Most of them are on a fairly short stretch either side of Port Campbell. Coming from Adelaide, the turn offs will be on your right (apart from twelve apostles, which has a carpark and visitor centre on the left)...

Enjoy!