We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Sandefjord

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
minnesota
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Going to Sandefjord

I'm going to be going to Sandefjord for two weeks to visit my son and his girlfriend. This will probably be a once in a lifetime trip for me, so I would love some tips on planning it so I make the most of my time. First - what time of year would you suggest? I'm debating between a Feb. trip or a May trip (I'm from Northern MN so cooler weather doesn't bother me). I'm big into photography and wonder which time of year would be the most beautiful? Second, what are the "must see" things I should consider going to in Norway? And finally, I'm thinking of planning a 2-3 day excursion on my own during the week while my son and his girlfriend are at work. I love water and I love mountains. I was thinking about going to Flam and/or Bergen. Any other places I should take a look at instead? Any ideas are welcome - I have plenty of time to plan!

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,559 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Sandefjord

Sandefjord is OK, but not the most interesting for overseas visitors (my opinion). So going to Bergen and/or fjords is a good idea.

Note that Flåm is merely one place in the fjord area, and it is very accessible by train and boat. And very different from MN, I guess.

Bergen is not very cold in winter (occasional frost only), but it can be rainy and cool (which is worse than cold weather).

May is great time as everything is getting green and you can go on most roads without obstacles (the most interesting tourist roads are closed until April or May due to snow).

Near Flåm:

vestlandsnatur.com/indexfiler/…nisedalen.jpg

vestlandsnatur.com/indexfiler/subfiles/aurla…

vestlandsnatur.com/indexfiler/subfiles/naero…

Flåm railway in winter:

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto47761.jpg

Bergen railway in winter:

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto47596.jpg

in june:

http://home.online.no/~sulvund/Voss_Now/foto49922.jpg

http://home.online.no/~sulvund/Voss_Now/foto49902.jpg

Hardanger area in june (now):

http://home.online.no/~sulvund/Voss_Now/foto50015.jpg

http://home.online.no/~sulvund/Voss_Now/foto49889.jpg

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,559 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Sandefjord

In May you also have the advantage of long days :)

Pahoa. HI
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Sandefjord

May is a beasutiful time - that would definitely be my preferred time to visit. So many more things you can do at that time of the year.

Temecula ,CA
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Sandefjord

Sandefjord is a magnificent city,I met my wife there some 45 years ago. The city is remarquable for a tremendous dynamism,adapting from whaling to modern industries in a very smooth fashion which in my view reflect a Viking spirit, by the fashion they look forward,also by some of their industry ( Jotun Paint,wihich furnish the paint for the Eifel Tower in Paris and most of the paint for the shipping industry the world over)

The suroundinds of the city are wonderful, with the mount where the Gokstad Viking ship has been found from there looking toward th East you have a view toward the Lahelle fjord ,one can well imagine back when the vikings were going back and forth.

Around Sandefjord the city of Tonsberg is the oldest city in Norway,in between we can find the Lovoya Chapel in Borre which was a big pilgrimage during the Middle Age to seek cure from miraculous St. Olav fountain.

I suggest you to visit Oslo ,the Viking ships Museum, the ski jump of Holmenkollen and the Wiegeland Park.

You can also contact the Turist Forening of Sandefjord and Omegn which arrange walking tour in the forest around the magnificent forests ,it would be an occasion meeting people from Sandefjord.

I hope you will find as much pleasure in Sandefjord as I found some 40 years ago.

A smile from Southern California !

Sandefjord, Norway
Level Contributor
723 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Sandefjord

Definetely come in May to enjoy the long light days.

Sandefjord is pretty far from Bergen and the fjords (6-8 hours), but here are flights Sandefjod-Bergen which makes it in just about an hour, and then 2-3 days in the fjordregion would let you see a lot....... http://www.wideroe.no/?language=en

Fjords, lakes and waterfalls are at its most beautiful in May, surrounded by snowcapped mountains and springflower fields.

In the area not too far from Sandefjord, go to Verdens Ende at Tjøme to see "water" - the nature of our coast at its most beautiful. You`ll make nice photos there :-)

Oslo
Level Contributor
251 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Sandefjord

Sandefjord is a pretty average, small east-Norwegian town - with a pretty nice seaside area in Vestfold, but it is located far away from the "must see" things in Norway - which in my opinion is the Western fjords (incl. Geirangerfjorden, Sognefjorden and Bergen) and the Northern coastline (incl. Lofoten islands, Svalbard islands and the coastline south of Bodø)

You could find more info about Norway here.

www.visitnorway.com

Check out som of the areas or some of the video clips and just let us know what you find interesting- and we could give you more detailed response.

If you're not a really big fan of the winter and loves winter sport and snow you should definitely go in May.

minnesota
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Sandefjord

Thanks for your input! Oslo is definately on my list of places to go while I'm there. I also appreciate your other suggestions and will visit as time permits.

8. Re: Going to Sandefjord

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Sandefjord