We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Durham to Sunderland/Newcastle?

Dewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Durham to Sunderland/Newcastle?

I have got a cheap day return from Leeds to Newcastle on 1st March. I would like to break my journey in Durham for a few hours then go onto Newcastle.

As the train ticket is "timed" I won't be able to get back in with it at Durham; likewise due to special offer I have only paid £6.50 each way Leeds to Newcastle -so from an "irritation" point of view would be annoying to pay the same just to go Durham to Newcastle by train.

What is the cheapest way from Durham to Newcastle please - also have never been to Sunderland so wondered if could catch bus Durham to Sunderland then Metro to Newcastle?

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
8,514 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Durham to Sunderland/Newcastle?

Have you checked that you definitely can't break the journey on that ticket?

From national rail:

"Break of journey

Break of journey is allowed on the outward portion of Off-Peak tickets unless otherwise indicated by a restriction shown against the ticket's validity code and in all cases on the return portion of Off-Peak return tickets.

You may start, break and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station along the route of travel on Off-Peak tickets unless the ticket restriction for the journey you are making does not allow it. If you intend to start, break and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station, please call 08457 48 49 50 to check if it is available on your specific journey."

And, as per the last part of that, if a break of journey is not allowed, then you also may not be permitted to leave the station at Durham.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
308 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Durham to Sunderland/Newcastle?

At that price your ticket must be and Advance, which doesn't permit a break of journey. There are barriers at Durham station so you need your ticket to open them. When the barriers are in use there will be a member of staff in attendance. If you don't have a valid ticket you will need to buy another in order to exit he station. At certain times of day the barriers may just be left open.

If you're not in a desparate hurry why not just stay on the train until Newcastle and catch the next one back to Durham? Your ticket will then be valid and you can buy another day return (£7) from Newcastle to Durham. There's a train about every 15 mins at peak times and the journey takes about 12 mins. Alternatively stay on until Newcastle then do the trip to Sunderland and Durham in the reverse direction - metro to Sunderland and bus from Sunderland to Durham - buses are every 10 mins.

Buses between Durham and Newcastle take an hour so it's far quicker by train.

3. Re: Durham to Sunderland/Newcastle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2017, 07:17