We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self catering holiday with a swimming pool near Sunderland

Cork, Ireland
3 posts
Save Topic
Self catering holiday with a swimming pool near Sunderland

Hi, we are visiting the Sunderland area this July.

Would anyone be able to recommend somewhere with a swimming pool for a family of 5. Was thinking of something attached to a hotel with a pool but have not found anything along those lines.

Would welcome any advice/recommendations please. Thanks

8 replies to this topic
Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,813 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self catering holiday with a swimming pool near Sunderland

I can't think of anything at all in the city that would fit that description. There are some static caravan sites in the region that may have pools- they won't be really close to the city itself though. How far out would you be prepared to stay?

Cork, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Self catering holiday with a swimming pool near Sunderland

Hi Daisie, Anywhere within a 90 mn drive would be fine. Thanks for your help.

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,813 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self catering holiday with a swimming pool near Sunderland

https:/… I have no experience of this place at all but have passed it a few times. It's in Northumberland and only about a 40 minute drive from the city. There are some lovely places to visit within an easy drive of there too.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self catering holiday with a swimming pool near Sunderland

You mention self catering and hotel in your post - what's your priority?

For self catering and a pool you're looking at holiday parks - Whitley Bay Holiday Park and Crimdon Dene Holiday Park come to mind.

There's a pool at Haven Point in South Shields if you find suitable accommodation but without a pool. There's always the beach at Roker!

North East England...
Level Contributor
310 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self catering holiday with a swimming pool near Sunderland

Not a definitive answer, sorry, but I am pretty certain the Mercure Hotel situated in Washington has a hotel sized indoor swimming pool. Sunderland is only 20mins drive away and the hotel itself is only a few minutes drive from a motorway A194M? and the A19 so is a good base if you are travelling on holiday.

Cork, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Self catering holiday with a swimming pool near Sunderland

Thanks for all the help. We are looking into your suggestions. Looks like we will have to look further afield than we hoped.

Thanks again

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self catering holiday with a swimming pool near Sunderland

Hello Julia.

I'm afraid that I think you'll find difficulty in finding self catering accom that has a pool within a reasonable distance, would be easily done in places like Haltwhistle or Seahouses but that's really too far to travel.

Hotels with pools can be found if you're willing to sacrifice the self catering aspect although I'd definitely urge you away from going to Washington, it's not a place people visit out of choice.

That having been said, there are plenty of great self catering options without pools and some lovely towns, within sunderland Roker and Ashbrooke areas are nice, elsewhere maybe best avoided

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Self catering holiday with a swimming pool near Sunderland

Actually, here's one with a private pool just outside of the very nice town Durham, about half an hour outside of Sunderland

http://catleyhillbarn.co.uk/

Reply to: Self catering holiday with a swimming pool near Sunderland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted