We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel?

Inverness
Level Contributor
25 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel?

We are planning going to St Julian's for our silver wedding anniversary in Feb, but cannot decide which hotel to stay in. We are looking at Le Meridien or the Radisson SAS Bay Point. Have so far heard good things about location etc for Le Meridien but nothing on the Radisson. Can anyone advise please.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel?

Haven't stayed at either but as far as location goes, Le Meridien (I presume you mean the St Julian's one as there is another one just outside Valletta) is at Balluta Bay but I wouldn't recommend swimming in that bay - February would be too cold anyway. You are practically on the promenade with a lovely walk either way - towards the restaurants of St Julian's or towards Sliema. There is a very good pizzeria called Piccolo Padre nearby (not even 5 minutes walk) and a posh restaurant called Barracuda - maybe for the actual silver wedding anniversary. Buses along the promenade are frequent.

Radisson is at the point of St George's Bay, much nicer view, looking out to sea and better beach area (but it will be February) It is also in a quieter area but then that means that you have quite a walk to St Julian's and it is not on a regular bus route. The hotel may have buses to somewhere a bit more central, might be worth asking them.

Hope this helps

uk
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel?

i can reccomend the raddison at st julians it is out of the way but 10min walk to the bars and restaurants. i liked it a nice pool are but you wont be swimming outdoors in feb they do have a nice indoor pool however. cant comment on the new mediriden only the one in valletta

Inverness
Level Contributor
25 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel?

Thanks for the replies. We are probably going to opt for Le Meridien due to location. Thanks also for the restaurant recommendations - will give them both a try. Even although we are hardy Scots I doubt if we will tackle swimming in the sea this time round! Thanks again.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel?

hi there oscar.. we are frequent visiters to st julians and both the hotels you are looking at are of good standard. the meridien is newer and has ironed out a few teething problems.. it is a better location as well because you are a nice 10 minute stroll to spinola bay where all the restaurants and bars are or a good 25 stroll into sliema the other way(all promenade walk) balluta bay is also very nice and we settled into a few bars around that area very easily. i would advise you to get a street map of the area because you can weave your way through the pretty back streets for a shorter route into sliema. if you like oriental food, i would highly reccomend zest restaurant on the 2nd floor of the juliani hotel overlooking spinola bay. we go everytime we are in malta and it never dissapoints. one for you guys is the scotsman bar on the main road up to paceville. a nice friendly bar which is popular.. anything else i can help you with i will try. have a great time and congratulations

Inverness
Level Contributor
25 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel?

Thanks "bobthestag" - advice very much appreciated - sounds as this place is just what we are looking for!

malta
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel?

My friends were there about a month ago, and have nothing to say except nice reviews. Also it is more recently built, so it is newer!!!!! Apart from location is excellent.

7. Re: Which hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 11:25
Get answers to your questions about Saint Julian's