We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things I wish I had known...

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
104 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Things I wish I had known...

I wanted to give some info to people thinking of going to the St. Julians area. If you have anything to add that might help people, please post it.

1. I wish I had found a bus schedule. We waited in Mosta for over an hour for the 65 to take us back to St. Julians. Our Holiday Malta tour rep said the buses run every 15 minutes. He was very wrong.

2. The 66 bus will take you from St. Julians to Valetta.

3. A 24 hour bus pass is 3E's per person.

4. There is a Hard Rock Cafe in the Baypoint (i think that is the name) shopping area.

5. There is a TGI Fridays located between St.Julians and Valetta.

6. At the Radisson Bay Point the fan/AC/Heater does not work when the balcony door is open. We did not know why it was not working and we were SO hot at night.

7. The Maravosin wines (locally made) are really good but pack a punch. The one we had and really liked was a red wine that was 12.9% by volume. One bottle did us in.

8. Traffic is crazy. We almost were hit by cars several times. They did not care that people were in the road. So move with a purpose.

9. If you need a map or travel books you can find them at the airport, gift shops at hotels and then also at stores downtown.

10. Some of the best nightlife can be found on or by the stairs leading from Paceville to St.Julians.

11. Paceville is pronounced PaCHville.

more to follow....

ireland
Level Contributor
42 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things I wish I had known...

EXCELLENT... Very Helpful ... things you wouldnt think of asking

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Things I wish I had known...

You can find all bus routes with timings of special routes on www.atp.com.mt

The Hardrock cafe is in Baystreet shopping area..the Hardrock Cafe and TGI are not the only restaurants in Malta!!! as such they are of medium level in Malta..more treated like a bar than a resaurant!!! a good restaurant guide in malta is http://www.restaurantsmalta.com/

Most of the hotels around the world have that type of A/C in rooms with a balcony

I have been driving in Malta for the last 8 years and I never hit anyone!!! I always take notice of people on the road!!

A good Maltese website is www.visitmalta.com

Bugibba, Malta
Destination Expert
for Bugibba
Level Contributor
654 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Things I wish I had known...

"2.The 66 bus will take you from St Julian's to Valletta"

Every bus heading that way will go to Valletta.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,373 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things I wish I had known...

might i suggest that asking a travel rep for a bus schedule is fraud with peril .. however, your hotel concierge or any random local tends to be a fountain of knowledge .

buses cost pennies and wouldn't make the itemized list in most budgets but its good to know that there are daypasses available . beats trying to have change handy.

errm... forgive me .. but if i was to recommend maltese restaurants , it wouldn't occur to me to mention a cheapie american chain joint either - just as it wouldn't be a recommendation i would be looking for when inquiring about "must not miss local cuisine" . i think its a simple miscommunication that nobody thought to mention this to you guys before the trip. if TIF is your thing , again a good hotel concierge should have been able to point you in that direction if questioned.

traffic is lively ..smiles .. but i never felt like i was exactly taking my life in my hands (feet, rather) .. sorry you felt uncomfortable .

looking forward to part two of the list . its interesting to see the different priorities people travel with.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things I wish I had known...

Not only are these chains not very Maltese but are not that good for either quality or price. TGI's is probably the worst one I've ever been to in the world. [I know but sometimes I like comfort food :) ]

Crossing the road in Malta is easy providing it is a two way exchange. It's not always the drivers at fault. I often see in the summer mummy or daddy push the buggy into the edge of the road THEN look to see what's coming!

Bucharest
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Things I wish I had known...

Investing about 20 Eur in a good guidebook and taking time to read it before the trip helps a lot. Including the fact that a guidebook give you some hints about good restaurants and local specialities.

And about how to pronounce the Maltese names. and about buses.

Maltese people (at the hotel but also in the street) are generally helpful and usually speak English.

Energy saving type air conditionning systems are more or less the norm in the mediteranean area. Just calling the reception when you think the AC does not work would have solved the problem - that's how we found out first time when we were in a hotel with this kind of system (in Greece).

Chrisjon, this is not ment as beeing critical to you. Offering information is always welcome (and elegant!). It is for the too many people that never think about finding some info on the places they visit. That's how they miss a lot of the local wonders and then come back home and only complain about the costs! (I'm especially mad about most of my compatriotes that doo exactly this).

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,373 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things I wish I had known...

*waves at Scuba - welcome home ! you have me laughing .. i so agree . TIF has got to be the worst of american chain cheap restaurants and i am american :)

actually , i am amazed that they manage to stay in business while malta is virtually covered in low cost good restaurants .

Norfolk, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things I wish I had known...

I think that all of the hotels we have stayed in have had the type of airconditioning/heating system that does not work when the patio/balcony doors are open. This is energy saving common sense. What is the point of having the doors open and the air conditioning on or even worse the doors open and the heating on.

Pippa

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
104 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things I wish I had known...

Wow...

All I wanted to do was point out some things that I though other people might be interested in. I did not intend on starting a huge discussion. The point of my post is completely lost in people telling me about all the reasons I am wrong.

#2 should have included that bus 66 will also take you back from Valletta to St. Julians. Not everyone knows bus info so I thought that basic information would be good to pass along.

#4 and #5 Sometimes people like to visit Hard Rock Cafe's. I just wanted to point it out. I did not recommend that people should eat there. I was just passing along good information.

#6 A/C...Maybe I just have not staying in enough beach resorts. But I have not stayed in a hotel where this has happened. I wanted to pass along the information to help other people. Not to be critized by the locals!

#8 Traffic....some people might drive just fine. On the other hand we experienced some people there seemed to not even care that people were in the road. Also on our first night on the island (4 April 2008) we did see an accident where a pedestrian was hit by a car near the St. Julians bus stop and right in front of a taxi stand. It could have been the pedestrians fault...who knows.

Regardless...I just wanted to pass along some information to help other travelers that might end up wishing they new more. I read up on the forums for a couple of week before my trip and no one had passed along such information. I knew busses ran in Malta but I did not know that there was not a posted schedule at each stop (common in some areas). So much for trying to help others out....

Bugibba, Malta
Destination Expert
for Bugibba
Level Contributor
654 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Things I wish I had known...

Chrisjon2003,i thinkyou have us all wrong !!

We all just added on things to your very helpful post to help people looking at the message and give them more information.

It was a very good and informative post that you have started.

Get answers to your questions about Saint Julian's
Recent Conversations